Open To Visitors:
Allied Distillers Ltd
+44 (0)1343 850258
Whisky production was established at
Glenburgie distillery in 1829 by William
Paul. The distillery was originally
called Kilnflat in those days, and
William Paul remained the owner of the
distillery up until 1871 when whisky
production stopped.In 1878 it began
producing again and the distillery was
renamed Glenburgie. The distillery was
hit hard by prohibition and went
bankrupt in 1925, a lawyer from Elgin
then became the owner of Glenburgie
after this bankruptcy.
Ballantine & Son took over the
distillery in 1936. The Ballantine
company belonged to Hiram Walker which
later became part of Allied Distillers.
Allied Distillers is still the current
owner. Back in 1936 the distillery was
refurbished and its production capacity
was doubled in 1957. In the same period,
two Lomond stills were installed. These
stills were in use up until 1981, when
they were replaced by traditional pot
stills. This Lomond stills were used to
produce a malt called Glencraig, named
after William Craig who was Ballantine's
manager at the time.
percentage of the malt whisky produced
at the Glenburgie distillery is used
mainly in Hiram Walkers blends such as
Teacher's and Ballantine's.
Glenburgie Tasting Notes
1963 40 Year Old Single Malt Gordon & MacPhail Independent Bottling.
Sorry no tasting notes available at
present but in general Glenburgie is a
lightly herbal aromatic malt whisky.