www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Peated Whisky

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Peated Whisky

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacCraig

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Peated Whisky Reply with quote

So as per my first post on here I have just gotten in to drinking Scotch and wanted to know what approachable styles of Peated whiskies would people recommend?

I have so far tried Lagavulin 16 and absolutely hated it and also I've had Highland Park 12 Year old too and loved that, in fact I couldn't get enough of it.

Budget is under £50 and the cheaper the better.

Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highland park is a good example of a lightly peaty one, but the peatyness isn't that noticeable in my opinion, and I wouldn't even notice it sometimes.

I would consider Benromach as a big step up from Highland park, but still being 'lightly peated'.
Forbes
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at Dalwhinnie 15 which has just a wee touch of smoke, you may also enjoy Talisker 10 and Clynelish 14.
Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Benromach 10 year old is a great dram for your money.https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/10894/benromach-10-year-old
mistah
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep hold of the Lagavulin. You may well come round to it in the end.

People often equate Talisker with a similar peatiness to Highland Park, but there is a lot of variance between batches. A few years ago there were some very peaty batches which might put you off if you don't like Lagavulin.

Kilkerran and Springbank both have a nice mild peatiness. They are a little difficult to get hold of at the moment, but great value if you can find them at their standard RRP.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for Amazon deals on the Berry Bros & Rudd Islay Blend. Sometimes available low £20s. 44%. Heard it suggests to be a blended malt of Caol Ila with peated Bunna.

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunna moine, unchilled 46% and very well priced and enjoyable
MacCraig

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am fortunate that my local pub has nearly 30 whiskies to try and last night I had a few of your suggestions.

I actually really liked Ardbeg 10, Dalwhinnie 15 was okay and Oban 14 was lovely too.

Whilst not seated at all I really loved Cragganmore 12 too, such a creamy toffee like dram,

I'd still say though HP 12 is by far and away my favourite whisky so far!

I'll keep trying others as there is still a number I have not tried in the pub so far but HP 12 will be on my birthday/christmas list!

Out of interest, does anyone know how HP10 differs from the 12?
sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaCraig. There are some great peated whiskies out there, not all are from Scotland either !!
Maybe look at whiskies from countries like England, Sweden and India all of which produce excellent peated whiskies that are very different from the style you are not enjoying..
It might be that your preference is peat style that hails from mainland rather than islay peat which is often the cause of many people hate of peated whiskies..
Duncan Disorderly
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Lagavulin 16 Reply with quote

Hi, I’m also new to this forum but thought I’d share my experience over the years with Lagavulin 16. I first tried it about 20 years ago and fell in love with the stuff. I’ve been through several bottles in the meantime and have also tasted it several times in different pubs/restaurants, always tasting great… until now!!!! My wife knew that it was one of my absolute faves and bought a bottle from Amazon for about £70 this Xmas. Unfortunately it tasted so bad that I questioned my own sanity. This stuff was either counterfeit or the worst batch of Lag16 known to man! Several other Amazon customers obviously thought the same - there are a few reviews saying the same as me. I have since written to Lagavulin (Diageo) explaining my concerns. They were very professional, collected my bottle, lab tested it and got back to me with the results. It is genuine Lagavulin 16, but must have been embarrassed by the poor quality, so sent me £70 in vouchers. With those vouchers I have managed to buy 2 bottles of the Lagavulin 8 yr old which seems to be much more consistent and a very good substitute for my previous favourite Islay whisky. I have read on other forums that the Lag16 has become worse and worse over the years, so sadly I’m unlikely to recommend what was my favourite whisky to anyone ever again.
colin p miln

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot really go wrong with Ardmore, if you want a more subtle peat hit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: