www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Cragganmore 1966 15 yr (unverified) v 1966 40 year GM

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cragganmore 1966 15 yr (unverified) v 1966 40 year GM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Cragganmore 1966 15 yr (unverified) v 1966 40 year GM Reply with quote

https://www.whisky-onlineauctions.com/auction/view/0122/140819

Like the Ben Nevis, this auction lot has no labels and when a different bottle was tested is was 40.3%

This is quite a dark Cragganmore, suspect 2nd fill sherry.

Nose
A big ribena note hits you first, milk chocolate, spices (subtle), faint walnut note and there is also a meat note but you need to look for it.
Palate
Ever so slightly thin with the spices mixing with the sherry and some toffee, this is a little on the weak side but the balance is ok.
There is some OBE for sure, I cannot get out of my head that this is not a blend it reminds me of some older sherried blends.
The fruit is stewed for an eternity but the sweetness does come through, dark plum, baked apple, a little gooseberry.
Finish
Not the longest, the fruit stays until the end as soes a sweet spice not with something metallic on the tail.

The low strength affects this a little and in final summary I think the fill level has a little evidence of oxidisation, level was into mid shoulder in the bottle, thankfully the level was not low enough to be a major issue but it has effected the spirit all the same.

Still an interesting whisky.

The only other 1966 Cragganmore I have left to try this against is this one

1966 40 year GM Secret Stills 2.2, 45% sherry hogshead casks 1204+1449+1452.

Checking my notes from 2017 for this GM bottle, I think they are still just about right.
The only difference is I do not get the chocolate orange on the nose and the palate is more smoky than peaty but I still detect a little peat
Original notes from 2017

Nose
Furniture polish mixed with Turkish delight, this is quite light and floral, faint caramel, ginger biscuit, chocolate orange and cream.
Taste
Nice mouthfeel, at first I thought it was delicate but then there is a wave of caramel and to me some peat ( I thought Craggy was near enough peat free)?Jammy, maybe black currant, salted caramel and Malteser's.
Finish
medium length, creamy & sweet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: