www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Pure Linkwood 12 yr white label 70 proof v black label 43%

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Pure Linkwood 12 yr white label 70 proof v black label 43%

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Pure Linkwood 12 yr white label 70 proof v black label 43% Reply with quote

I have always been a fan of the John McEwen bottlings with both of these versions approaching 90 points.

White label 12 year 70 proof 1970's score 88/89/89

The nose is pretty good, white fruits mixed with honey and lemon plus a nice lemon sherbet note.
Nice attack at first with fruit up front but it gets quite drying with a wood note mixed in.
Thankfully the wood note goes and the fruit takes over honey, lemon, yellow apples, almost a cider note and there is the faintest hint of peat but what I like is the lemon sherbet note mixed in with a little lime, quite refreshing.
Finish is also good not powerfully just fruity and honey with a faint smattering of menthol.
It is common knowledge there could differences between batches, this is thankfully a good one.
I will try the black label one next

Black label 12 year 43% early 1980's score 88/90/90

This one is way darker than the 70 proof white label i have just had WB is 44812.
Similarities with that bottle but not as fruity on the nose with an almost earthy note.
The palate has a load of spice that the white label didn`t and the fruit is like stewed yellow plum and yellow gooseberries hint of menthol and some dark honey.
There is obviously more Sherry in this black label, it has a fuller mouth feel and the spice/pepper note keeps growing, l like it, and the finish is nice with the spice still growing, really good finish.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: