www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Daly's Tullamore 20 Year Old circa 1950s

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Daly's Tullamore 20 Year Old circa 1950s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Daly's Tullamore 20 Year Old circa 1950s Reply with quote

same as this bottle
https://whiskyauctioneer.com/lot/246071/dalys-tullamore-20-year-old-circa-1950s

This has been in the bottle a long time and the level has
obviously dropped a little in the bottle with some oxidisation taking place. As the quality on offer was high when it was bottled it has managed to shrug those years off to some extent.
My mind boggles at what this must have tasted like when first bottled, I am pretty sure it would have been approaching the mid 90's points wise.
Still an education of bygone years and great to taste with a depth of profile and balance that is really good.
I also really like the bottle label Smile
Even after 30 minutes and an empty glass the vapours are still powerful and being honest pretty awesome.

Nose
This has a very expressive nose and it is all on stewed tropical fruits like mango, peach, nectarine, pineapple and some dried hay notes and cereals and of course a bucket load of those OBE notes you find in old Whiskies of yesteryear.
There is also a little white pepper and warm brioche just out the oven followed by dried orange and lemon peels.
It noses like one of those very old classical 1960's vintage old grains.
It is on the one hand quite light yet there is a lot of depth here with flavours popping out as you go back to it.
Really old bottles of Redbreast also have this quality.

Taste
I was expecting this to be sweeter on first tasting but there is a really nice Turkish Delight and marshmallow note.
There is fruit but it is quite neutral being neither sweet just edging towards unripe/slightly sour?
There is is a nice icing sugar note, the coating on a sugared almonds that sort of thing.
The fruit starts to turn bitter and then some wood makes an appearance and it starts to become a little difficult but it claws back some sweetness and a nice spice note tries it's best to nullify the bitterness coming in from the wood and almost succeeds but not quite,

Not that long and still a battle between sweetness and the unripe fruit but remains composed with no dram.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: