www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Help me date this bottle of Black Rod

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help me date this bottle of Black Rod

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeAllWantToBeHappy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Help me date this bottle of Black Rod Reply with quote

[img]https://imgur.com/a/VUdzYb7[/img]

Anyone know when this dates from? I know it's pre 1980 from the 26 2/3 70 Proof, but that's all I know.

There's a few Black Rod images online, but I've not found a good match. S. Levine / C.Levine. Proof / G.L. Proof, Shipper name or not - there's a host of combinations, I've just not found this one.

(Got it when father in law's house cleared when he moved into a care home. He's not capable of saying where/when he got it. (There was a bottle of 1983 Riesling in there, so just the fact that he kept something doesn't tell me much about how much he treasured it. :-/) He did travel a lot, so could have been bought abroad.)

Thanks

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would date it aroiund 1960-mid 1960's, later on the dumpy bottles changes to a small screw cap in the late 60's.
Your bottle is a UK bottle the ones sent to the USA were shipped by Brooks and Bohm, those bottles also had a neck label with a crest on.
it is worth about £40-£60, my advice it to drink it, might be really nice.[/list]
WeAllWantToBeHappy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Good to know.

I wasn't expecting it to be super valuable, given what it is, but I'm happier to drink it now knowing it's not squandering my children's inheritance.

(Might drink this and keep the '83 Riesling for my heirs and successors to find Smile )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: