www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Lidl Ben Bracken - Page 2

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Lidl Ben Bracken
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowlander
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen this in Lidl UK Shocked

https://www.lidl.de/de/ben-bracken-highland-single-malt-scotch-whisky-40-jahre-cask-strength-42-1-vol/p363292

A bit pricey for a pretty low ABV given its meant to be at cask strength. Still, for that to be available in a supermarket is pretty impressive in itself.

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha agreed on the pull your socks up

Last edited by ralfy legend on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
mistah
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just opened a bottle of the Ben Bracken Islay 16.

I think it's pretty good value for the money. I've not got much experience with older Islay whiskies (other than Lagavulin 16), so difficult for me to pin it down to a specific distillery. But I'd say that this is more of the briney, iodine sort of Islay (Laphroaig, Bowmore, funky barrel of Lagavulin?) rather than the sweet smoky type (whatever I mean by that?)

WIth a teaspoon of water it seems quite a lot more complex than my usual go-to Islay (Laphroaig 10) and definitely worth the extra £5.
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one in Lidl today, just cracked it open, my 9 year old daughter is also helping and her notes will be listed with an asterix

Nose:

Malty bread, peat, some smoke, there are some sweet elements here - crisp apples and pears, vanilla and green tropical fruits, perhaps some melon.

*pork luncheon, cherry, corn sweetness (like bourbon), burnt demerara sugar and smoke. E45

Taste:

Iodine (but not hugely medicinal), peat, brine, salty maritime notes (think Old Pulteney). Citrus bitterness, cooking apples.

*bitters, burnt sugars, peaches, peppery, crepe suzette

Finish:

I'm finding some real bitter sweetness, burnt Seville oranges, pith of lemons, tobacco and associated leathery oaky notes. Does have an E150 type note that I get in Balvenie Doublewood.

*Roses and fudge, dark chocolate, BBQ meat, citrus (grapefruit), lemon rind, mandarins with raisins and coconut water.

Conclusions:

I was immediately on the fence with this. Yes it's an Islay, yes it has some notes that some won't like. I especially didn't like the after taste which I'm putting down to extra E150, but given time in the glass, if you can overlook the cloying sweetness (or perhaps that's just the bitter profile) I found it enjoyable enough. Perhaps like an 81?

Oh, and distillery? It's a Bowmore.

Laughing
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wm, great for the info, told my m8 last night also that it was a bowmore, can’t say I got all them notes but your knowledge is greatly received.
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arqueturus wrote:
Just going to put this here.

https://www.lidl.de/de/whisky-highlights-2020/c29682

Lidl UK needs to pull it's socks up.

O My!!!!! I am glad I have a friend over there who may buy me some bottles and keep them for me for the next time I get over there (Even though I will need a new paper diving licence) and might need to pay import tax..

Latic
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWM wrote:
I saw one in Lidl today, just cracked it open, my 9 year old daughter is also helping and her notes will be listed with an asterix

Nose:

Malty bread, peat, some smoke, there are some sweet elements here - crisp apples and pears, vanilla and green tropical fruits, perhaps some melon.

*pork luncheon, cherry, corn sweetness (like bourbon), burnt demerara sugar and smoke. E45

Taste:

Iodine (but not hugely medicinal), peat, brine, salty maritime notes (think Old Pulteney). Citrus bitterness, cooking apples.

Finish:

I'm finding some real bitter sweetness, burnt Seville oranges, pith of lemons, tobacco and associated leathery oaky notes. Does have an E150 type note that I get in Balvenie Doublewood.

*Roses and fudge, dark chocolate, BBQ meat, citrus (grapefruit), lemon rind, mandarins with raisins and coconut water.

Conclusions:

I was immediately on the fence with this. Yes it's an Islay, yes it has some notes that some won't like. I especially didn't like the after taste which I'm putting down to extra E150, but given time in the glass, if you can overlook the cloying sweetness (or perhaps that's just the bitter profile) I found it enjoyable enough. Perhaps like an 81?

Laughing

Cheers. Opening mine tomorrow night with company, so will enjoy based on these notes.

Amazing articulation for a 9yo Laughing
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWM wrote:

Nose:

Taste:

Finish:

Conclusions:

Laughing

Great stuff about getting your daughter involved, my daughter is 17 now and she has a much better nose for whisky than I have , it is all about the enjoyment, keep it up.
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely enjoyable if you like your peatie whiskies. I got whif of laphroaig when first opening the bottle
Simps
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidl used to have the German Christmas releases in the UK the past, then they stopped them about 2-3 years ago, still got a couple of Ben Bracken 28 year olds, 3 Glen Alba 22yr old blended and a couple of 34yr old Glen Alba blended left, picked them all up for about £30-£35 each after Christmas. Not a bad drop for the price,
The surprise was the 22year old blended, was a really nice drink, might crack one open
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simps, on the glen alba range, totally loved the 34, the 25 was nice but I missed the 22 until two years later and a rougue bottle turned up at the great price of £14.99 and was only bottle I seen, and the 22 was I also thought was the best of the range, but the 34 was good also ,
arqueturus
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good notes.

I thought either a wonky Lagavulin or a Bowmore. It's got a really thin mouthfeel to me. I tried adding a couple of drops of water and it was a massive improvement, which was a bit of a surprise at 43% abv.

It's worth the price of entry but I don't think much more.

Simps
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
Simps, on the glen alba range, totally loved the 34, the 25 was nice but I missed the 22 until two years later and a rougue bottle turned up at the great price of £14.99 and was only bottle I seen, and the 22 was I also thought was the best of the range, but the 34 was good also ,

Yep the the 34 was a nice drop but the 22 just seemed that little bit smoother and seemed a bit longer in the finish, seen a few reviews around about it and they all said it was the pick of the bunch.
Checking my whisky list I also brought a Glen Orrin 30 year blended from Aldi about the same time for about the same price, still in the cupboard yet to try that one
Winfield
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trying my local Lidl for this since Thursday (reason being that "the pallet hadn't arrived"), but still no luck...
Jimny14
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in at lancaster. Picked up a bottle today. Was even offered a tube (none on shelf) if I wanted it. I was not interested but I know some will be. Think you may need to ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: