www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Recomendations

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Recomendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menalitus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Recomendations Reply with quote

Hi guys

Apologies in advance for the long post Smile

I am a whiskey fan and have been for about 30+ years but am by no means any kind of expert. I am usually the guy who just buys whatever familiar malt is on offer at the supermarket rather than splash out in anything particulary fancy.

So... My mother in aw would always bring me a bottle of malt when she came to visit, which she knew I always appreciated very much. Well, she recently passed away and left me £1000 in her will on the condition that I spent it on Whiskey! (How cool is that! Smile )

This gives me a problem (of the nicest type), I have gone out and spent £500 ish on a nice spread of about 10 various bottles mostly from the more common distilliaries found on supermarket shelves which I am very much enjoying sampling, but I now want to get a bottle or two of something different.

What I am after (after all that build up) is a recomendation or two of a nice smooth flavoursome dram (think 18yo Glenfiddich but with a slghtly more peaty taste) that is max £100 a bottle but ideally a bit cheaper. What do you think?

Apologies again for the rambling post but hey if you don't ask... Smile

Cheers

Mike

Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your mother in laws passing. There is a peated Glenfiddich which you may enjoy, it is a travel retail exclusive whisky but it can sometimes be found in Amazon available from other sellers, it is the Glenfiddich Vintage Cask.
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to your max you've got the likes of Glenfarclas 21 at £95 and Glendronach 21 at about £110, but very smooth and exceptional whiskies.

Cheaper you could go for something like an ancnoc 18yo, Balvenie 17yo Doublewood or 15yo single cask, Balvenie do a 14yo Peat Week too which is peated and about £60.

Talisker 18yo?

There's plenty out there Wink
Calder
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you enjoy Highland Park, if so have you tried the Highland Park 18. The 3 whiskies in the Glenfiddich 19 year old Age if Discovery range are all excellent and can all be found around £100
Menalitus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alastair wrote:
Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your mother in laws passing. There is a peated Glenfiddich which you may enjoy, it is a travel retail exclusive whisky but it can sometimes be found in Amazon available from other sellers, it is the Glenfiddich Vintage Cask.

Sounds spot on, many thanks will take a look!
Menalitus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calder wrote:
Do you enjoy Highland Park, if so have you tried the Highland Park 18. The 3 whiskies in the Glenfiddich 19 year old Age if Discovery range are all excellent and can all be found around £100

Yes, I do. It is what the aforementioned mother in law used to bring me when she visited, Iwas always chuffed to receive it hence the money left in the will. I have already picked up a bottle of the 12 year old and the Dragon Legend which is really interesting, will take a look at the 18, tanks dude.

Menalitus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMaster wrote:
Up to your max you've got the likes of Glenfarclas 21 at £95 and Glendronach 21 at about £110, but very smooth and exceptional whiskies.

Cheaper you could go for something like an ancnoc 18yo, Balvenie 17yo Doublewood or 15yo single cask, Balvenie do a 14yo Peat Week too which is peated and about £60.

Talisker 18yo?

There's plenty out there Wink

The Glanfarclas sounds interesting, and I do love Talisker so that ones is a definite yes. What i am trying to avoid is spending £100 on something I haven't tried and turns out to be more challenging to enjoy. I like to drink my whiskey neat over a couple of ice cubes so want something smooth from the get go. The best example i could think of is the 18yo Glanfiddich as i have found that the smoothest of the 12 bottles Inow have on my shelf.

Incidently, i picked up a bottle of 23 year old called Ben Brachen from Lidl today, at £39, not tried it yet but couldn't resist it at that price.

Will be browsing later checking out your suggestions, thanks for taking the time to respond.
dramblersanonymous
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Springbank 18 - delicious.

I would definitely consider an independent bottling too. £100 opens all.sorts of doors. I bought a 26yro aberlour single oloroso cask for about £75 the other day.

Where are you based?
Menalitus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dramblersanonymous wrote:
Springbank 18 - delicious.

I would definitely consider an independent bottling too. £100 opens all.sorts of doors. I bought a 26yro aberlour single oloroso cask for about £75 the other day.

Where are you based?

I am near Peterborough, I bet that 26yo is nice, I rate Aberlour, even the 10 year old is pretty good in my opinion.
Scotchmaltman
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you have to be a member to buy online....

https://www.costco.co.uk/Wines-Spirits-Beer/All-Spirits/Whisky/Glenfarclas-25-Year-Old-Highland-Single-Malt-Scotch-Whisky-70cl/p/248973

But Glenfarclas 25yo for this price is absurdly good for such a fantastic drop!
Drame Blanche
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want something different, for £100 (make it 110) or less I'd go for stuff like:
- Glenmorangie Signet
- Amrut Kadhambam
- Balcones Brimstone
- Something in the Octomore range (if you like VERY peaty stuff)
- Edradour 12 Caledonia
- High West Rendezvous Rye
- Compass Box spice tree

They're all on Master of Malt, that tends to have fairly accurate tasting notes - which you really should read for all the above, as stuff like the Brimstone is actually a bit weird.

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society often has quirky stuff, but you need to be a member to purchase bottles and drink at their venues. A nice way to spend that cash might be a membership + a number of visits to their establishments across the UK.
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Glendronach 18 or glengoyne 21 is (was) on sale on amazon. I think you can also still buy the glengoyne teapot dram from their website.

Redders1974
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the mil passing but she's left you with a nice dilemma. May be worth having a look on somewhere like whisky exchange where they post decent flavor profiles and tasting notes and go for stuff you don't see in supermarket shelves Oban ledaig wolfburn may all be to your taste.
Menalitus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drame Blanche wrote:
If you want something different, for £100 (make it 110) or less I'd go for stuff like:
- Glenmorangie Signet
- Amrut Kadhambam
- Balcones Brimstone
- Something in the Octomore range (if you like VERY peaty stuff)
- Edradour 12 Caledonia
- High West Rendezvous Rye
- Compass Box spice tree

They're all on Master of Malt, that tends to have fairly accurate tasting notes - which you really should read for all the above, as stuff like the Brimstone is actually a bit weird.

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society often has quirky stuff, but you need to be a member to purchase bottles and drink at their venues. A nice way to spend that cash might be a membership + a number of visits to their establishments across the UK.

Thanks for the tips, I already have a bottle of the Edradour 12 which is pretty good (I also have their Cask strength which tastes great but really needs a little water to take the edge off). Like the idea of the membership Smile will take a look.
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely recommend a good Campbeltown whisky, I find whiskies from this region to be good "all-rounders" with the sweetness/coastal/peaty iodine notes all in one go. Glen Scotia Victoriana or the 18yr, Springbank 12/18, Kilkerran 8yr Cask Strength is pretty affordable and the Kilkerran 12yr is entry-level pricewise (about £35) and is really nice.

Balcones Brimstone is very interesting, all their whiskies are pretty unique but this is a smokey one where the smoke is more an American BBQ kind of smoke rather than the typical peat smoke of Scottish malts.

Another suggestion is the Indian malt: Paul John Peated Select Cask, which really impressed me recently at a whisky festival. Lovely sweet notes with that peaty underbelly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: