www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Whisky Tasting Recomendations

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Whisky Tasting Recomendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toots

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Whisky Tasting Recomendations Reply with quote

Gidday

Trying to organize a single Malt whisky tasting among a group of friends and need some advice on what whiskys I should put in the tasting.

It is a group made up of winemakers and brewers and we've had several Beer and wine tastings and just trying to mix it up a bit and learn a bit about whisky in the process.

So what would be good approach? (Keeping in mind our limited experience with whisky). Random, with different whiskys from different distilleries? Same distillery different age? Same age different distillery?.........

I realize this is a fairly open ended and slightly tedious question for most but any advice would be much appreciated.

Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Over the years I have organised a few whisky tastings for friends and usually they have been new to the world of malt whisky.

Similar to the fine wines of the world, Scotch single malt whiskies are grouped by region but unlike wine this doesn't have that as much to do with flavour. Although having said that to some extent each whisky region produces many whiskies which are similar in their broad basic style and flavours. If you check out this page for more info on regions:
http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/regions.htm

I would choose whiskies with a distinctive flavour and not from the same distillery, i would recommend choosimg a varied selection for people new to whisky. The whiskies I would suggest would be:

Glenkinchie 10 or 12 year old
    Light bodied, smooth and malty, sweet, fruity. Lowlands.

Oban 14 year old
    Full-bodied fruity malt from the Western Highlands

Glenmorangie 10 or 18 year old
    Vanilla and spice. From the Highlands

Highland Park 12 year old 18 year old
    A smooth heather and honey flavour. From the Orkney Island

Glenfarclas 10, 15, 17 or 21 year old or Macallan 10, 12 or 18 year old sherrywood
    Both excellent sherried malts from Speyside.

Ardbeg 10 year old
    Smoke and peat. From Islay.

Laphroaig 10 year old
    Medicinal, smoky, rich, earthy. From Islay.

Not sure on your budget for the tasting, you didnt say but obviously the older whiskies i have mentioned will be more expensive but worth the extra money.

Be sure to let us know how the tasting goes and if you want more suggestions i am sure others here will be happy to help.

Alastair
Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tootsand welcome to the SMW forum.

Those are all great sugestions Alastair has made and they are a great introduction to the varied selection of malt whisky available. As your group already appreciate wine and beer they are in for a great treat and maybe some will be surprised and converted to malt whisky. Very Happy

Hope the tasting goes well, do let us know how it goes.

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: