| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Quaich1 Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Apr 2012 Posts: 5749 Location: Ontario, Canada
|
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:32 pm Post subject: Blanton's, Danfield's 21, Forty Creek Copper Pot, Bain's |
|
|
I decided to compare head-to-head 4 very different whiskies . Here are my straight taste notes in short form and my order of enjoyment and scores today:
Danfield's 21 Year Small Batch Whisky[u] 40%abv
Color:Amber
Nose: Truffles, mushrooms, marble halva
Taste: Full-bodied. creamy. spice, oak tannin. hint of strong maple syrup
Finish: Long, hint of "sticky lice", minty, drying
Comments: A major compliment to Canadian whisky
Score: 90
Blanton's Straight Bourbon Whisky 40% abv
Color:Light amber
Nose: Vidalia onions, shallots, hint of cinnamon, nutty nougat, mocha and chocolate fudge
Taste:Full-bodied, sticky, spicy honey, creme de menthe
Finish:Long, dry, leather, strong black tea, black licorice, spice and menthol
Comments: Comprehensive profile with much to offer
Score 88
Bain's Cape Mountain Whisky 43%abv
Color: Light Amber
Nose:Butter, cream, floral, lilacs, pistachios
Taste: Light to medium bodied, smooth, honey, leather
Finish: Long, leather, astringent
Comments: An easy drinking whisky from the Dark Continent
Score 86
Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve
Color:Amber
Nose: Toffee, caramel fudge, vanilla, candy sweet, nutty melange.
Taste: Medium bodied, smooth, spice and chocolate
Finish:Lingering, spice, espresso crema
Comments: No surprises but pleasant in all respects.
Score:84 _________________ "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
 |
James T Master Of Malts

Joined: 05 Feb 2011 Posts: 3006
|
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I recently had a couple of drams of the Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve, my son had a bottle, I found an ok dram, spicy and orangey from what I recall, I would agree with your rating of it Murray. I haven't come across Danfields this side of the water |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Quaich1 Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Apr 2012 Posts: 5749 Location: Ontario, Canada
|
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:53 am Post subject: |
|
|
| James T wrote: | | I recently had a couple of drams of the Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve, my son had a bottle, I found an ok dram, spicy and orangey from what I recall, I would agree with your rating of it Murray. I haven't come across Danfields this side of the water |
Hi James. The Danfield's 21 Year Limited Edition was a real find a few years back and was only available the one year in Ontario. I picked up 3 bottles at the time. It originated from the distillery that produces Black Velvet in Lethbridge Alberta Canada. I was attending a spectacular whisky event in Toronto at the time and staying at the University Club and the bartender asked if I had ever tried the Danfied's 21 and that's how I came across it. Jim Murray rated it 95. _________________ "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
|