| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Sc07811 New Member

Joined: 09 Sep 2009 Posts: 2
|
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:14 pm Post subject: Virgin Whisky |
|
|
Hi
I would like to make an initial enquire about the possibility of purchasing whisky before it has been cast for the aging process. I understand that this is possibly a strange request and that there may be some legal requirements /issue i.e the duty which has to be paid.
Any help advise would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
SC |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
 |
Alastair Master Of Malts

Joined: 13 Nov 2006 Posts: 1745 Location: Ayrshire - Scotland
|
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:07 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Hi SC
I think you are referring to new make spirit which has just been distilled and not yet been put into casks to mature and become whisky. There are a few distillers who let individuals purchase there own cask of whisky, you would then normally leave that cask to mature at the distillery for a minimum of 3 years as this is how long it must mature for before it can legally be called whisky. I believe that duty is payable to the government as soon as the spirit leaves the distillery whether it has matured into whisky or not unless the spirit is transported under bond and goes to another bonded warehouse elsewhere.
Here are a few links for distilleries which sell barrels of whisky to individuals, it may be worth contacting them as they will certainly be able to guide you better than i will.
http://www.bladnoch.co.uk/
http://www.arranwhisky.com/ArranWhiskyCaskSales.aspx
http://www.bruichladdich.com/cask_offers.htm
http://www.glengoyne.com/cask_sales/
Out of interest what would you want the new make spirit for?
Alastair |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Big Mac Master Of Malts

Joined: 02 Nov 2006 Posts: 2216 Location: USA - Formerly Scotland
|
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:41 pm Post subject: |
|
|
As Alastair says SC contacting the distilleries about buying new spirit they would be able to guide you better i would think. I would also be interested what you want the new spirit for.
Mac |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Sc07811 New Member

Joined: 09 Sep 2009 Posts: 2
|
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:15 am Post subject: |
|
|
Hi Alistair
I am a cabinet maker by trade and im making an old fashion 1.5l oak cask which I plan to fill with the new spirit. I will then give it to my sister when she has her new baby. Hopefully I will be arround to open it on his 21Sst birthday.
What do you think? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alastair Master Of Malts

Joined: 13 Nov 2006 Posts: 1745 Location: Ayrshire - Scotland
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|