www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Flavoury for a newbie?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Flavoury for a newbie?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Flavoury for a newbie? Reply with quote

Dear Members: I've read the forum many times and finally decided to register in (excuse my english if you find mistakes in this text: I'm not british).
I'm a whisky fan, but not very seriously.
I've been in Edimburgh some years ago, and bought my first single malt at the Royal Mile: a Glenffidich that I've choosen for having a very nice tin box showing the classic tartan clans (silly criterium). It was supposed to be a gift for my father, but finally somehow it became mine!
I remember that Glenffidich used to seem a bit strong to me (but that was very long ago).

My wife will return from Barcelona to Buenos Aires next week, and I'd like to ask her to buy a whisky bottle at the El Prat (Barcelona airport) free-shop.
My budget is around 40Eur (aprox. 37pounds, isn't it?)

White Horse (blend) has always been a favourite to me.
After reading this forum I've choosen and bought The Glenlivet 12 y.o., and enjoyed it a lot. Also learned here to add some water to drink it.

I think I preffer soft whiskys, smooth ones, with fruits and flower notes, honey, sherry... (is this taste called "Flora and Fauna"?)
I also enjoy Porto wines (Ramos Pinto -Quinta de Ervamoira- for instance).
But I wouldn't like my whisky to be so fruity as an orange juice or sweet as a Lambrusco wine!

After reading the forum, Aberlour 10 y.o. and Macallan 10 y.o. Sherryoak seem to be the most accurated ones for me (i expect you to confirm or correct this conclusion I arrived to) for taste and price.

But... isn't there any other one not so common? not so popular? something different, with an old fashioned look bootle (as older as possible, realy antique looking), with a "hard to spell" name, rare..?
I mean something different, still not over 40Eur, with fruits-flowers-honey-sherry taste?
For instance: Auchentoshan is a great name, but I don't like it's bottle at all!
(I'm sure you must be laughing loud of all this!)

Pale ivory toned labels seem nice to me. Transparent curved bottles, not very tall ones...mainly fat and short bottles are my favourites.

For some reason, Highland Park seems a very bad name to me: sounds like some kind of funfair (although maybe suitable for taste).
Bruichladdich 2001 (light blue bottle): disgusting presentation! (although great name).

I'm sorry: I'm an architect and aesthetic is not irrelevant in my choice.

What about Edradour 10y.o.?! Good name, nice presentation, says it tastes honey, small distillery, 30.50 pounds... seems perfect!
The Balvanie 12y.o. Signature? 32 pounds! Double Wood: 26.50 pounds! Both look good..!
Aberfeldy 12y.o.?
Dailuaine 16y.o.? 16 years old for 32.50 pounds!! Nice presentation! Taste description sounds great!
Strathisla 12y.o.? 25 pounds... what do you think?

Thank you a lot!

islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Flavoury for a newbie? Reply with quote

Martín wrote:
Dear Members: I've read the forum many times and finally decided to register in (excuse my english if you find mistakes in this text: I'm not british).
I'm a whisky fan, but not very seriously.
I've been in Edimburgh some years ago, and bought my first single malt at the Royal Mile: a Glenffidich that I've choosen for having a very nice tin box showing the classic tartan clans (silly criterium). It was supposed to be a gift for my father, but finally somehow it became mine!
I remember that Glenffidich used to seem a bit strong to me (but that was very long ago).

My wife will return from Barcelona to Buenos Aires next week, and I'd like to ask her to buy a whisky bottle at the El Prat (Barcelona airport) free-shop.
My budget is around 40Eur (aprox. 37pounds, isn't it?)

White Horse (blend) has always been a favourite to me.
After reading this forum I've choosen and bought The Glenlivet 12 y.o., and enjoyed it a lot. Also learned here to add some water to drink it.

I think I preffer soft whiskys, smooth ones, with fruits and flower notes, honey, sherry... (is this taste called "Flora and Fauna"?)
I also enjoy Porto wines (Ramos Pinto -Quinta de Ervamoira- for instance).
But I wouldn't like my whisky to be so fruity as an orange juice or sweet as a Lambrusco wine!

After reading the forum, Aberlour 10 y.o. and Macallan 10 y.o. Sherryoak seem to be the most accurated ones for me (i expect you to confirm or correct this conclusion I arrived to) for taste and price.

But... isn't there any other one not so common? not so popular? something different, with an old fashioned look bootle (as older as possible, realy antique looking), with a "hard to spell" name, rare..?
I mean something different, still not over 40Eur, with fruits-flowers-honey-sherry taste?
For instance: Auchentoshan is a great name, but I don't like it's bottle at all!
(I'm sure you must be laughing loud of all this!)

Pale ivory toned labels seem nice to me. Transparent curved bottles, not very tall ones...mainly fat and short bottles are my favourites.

For some reason, Highland Park seems a very bad name to me: sounds like some kind of funfair (although maybe suitable for taste).
Bruichladdich 2001 (light blue bottle): disgusting presentation! (although great name).

I'm sorry: I'm an architect and aesthetic is not irrelevant in my choice.

What about Edradour 10y.o.?! Good name, nice presentation, says it tastes honey, small distillery, 30.50 pounds... seems perfect!
The Balvanie 12y.o. Signature? 32 pounds! Double Wood: 26.50 pounds! Both look good..!
Aberfeldy 12y.o.?
Dailuaine 16y.o.? 16 years old for 32.50 pounds!! Nice presentation! Taste description sounds great!
Strathisla 12y.o.? 25 pounds... what do you think?
Thank you a lot!

Hi newbie No 2,
I'm sure your wife will find a great malt whisky for about £40 in Barcelona. After all Spain is very cheap for whisky.
Get yourself a Balvenie Double Wood (can't go wrong)
Dailluaine 16yo is currently one of the best " cheap" whiskies from Speyside, loads of sherry taste and easy to drink. By the way Fauna & Flora means a series of whiskies not a taste of whisky.
Highland Park is one of the best whiskies from "The Islands", a great all rounder with a hint of smoke and peat.

I'm sure you'll like the whisky you like after a couple years, but the ones above (in bold) are very good for a novice!
Slainte Mhath
Rene
Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin and welcome to the SMW forum.

As Rene says Fauna & Flora was the name given to a series of whisky and not a description of the whisky.

The whiskies you are are considering are all very good and for someone new to malt whisky i can highly recommend Balvenie DoubleWood. The Dailuaine 16 year old is also very good and i would think that it would be hard to find in Buenos Aires so this may be a good opportunity to try this whisky. Also as Rene has already mentioned, Highland Park is a great all round whisky which is highly rated by most whisky drinkers, the Highland Park 12 is good and the Highland Park 18 is very good. You may find the Highland Park 18 is within your price range especially in an airport duty free shop. As you already like the Glenlivet 12 it may be worth looking at the Glenlivet 18 which should also be within your price range.

2 whiskies you haven't mentioned which i think falls within your taste preference are the Dalwhinnie 15 year old and the Cragganmore 12 year old. Both of these are part of Diageos classic malt collection and are very nice whiskies and the bottles and packaging may have the look you want also.

Whatever you decide to buy dont forget to come back and let us know what you thought of it.

Alastair
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin

As you like sherried malt whisky you will not be dissappointed with either the Balvenie Double Wood, Macallan 10 sherrywood or the Dailluaine 16 year old.

Mac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: