www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Blended whiskys - your opinion...

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Blended whiskys - your opinion...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vcdman
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Blended whiskys - your opinion... Reply with quote

Blended whisky. Vatted malts.
What do you think about these? What have you tried and like and tried and disliked.

Gregor
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most people here i would think my whisky journey began with blended whisky although nowadays i very rarely would drink a blend, not that i do not like them just that i have a never ending list of single malts still to be discovered.

To me Johnnie Walker is the king of blends, i have never had anything from JW that i havent enjoyed. In fact there are a few malts which do not come close to JW for quality. The good thing about Johnnie Walker black label is it always appears to be available in most bars worldwide even if the bar hasnt got any other scotch whisky available.

I have had the Johnnie Walker Red, Black, Green, Gold and Blue and all are great drams which any whisky drinker would like whether they are a malt or blend drinker. Johnnie Walker has been one of the worlds beat selling whiskies for many years for a good reason.

If anyone ever fancies treating themself to a premium blend the Johnnie Walker Blue label will not disappoint you, i have only had a bottle once but great dram.

Gregor
Banksy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blended whisky which surprised me lately was Famous Grouse Gold Reserve, someone gave me it and it was a pleasent surprise, nice dram.

But if you are looking for a really nice blend to rival what Johnnie Walker produces i can highly recommend the Antiquary 21 year old which is produced by Tomatin it is a deliciously rich blend. Top Malt

Banksy
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see blends get a mention as there are some good ones out available.

2 extra special blends which i have had which i would highly recommend are Ballentines 17 year old and Johnnie Walker Gold Label.

Banksy, i had heard good things about the Antiquary 21, i have not had it though, i must try and get a bottle as last time i looked i believe it was a pretty good price for what is such a highly rated 21 year old whisky.

I have had too many poor blends to mention but i always think that many of the blends where not created to be drank by themselves but to be drank with mixers which i do not enjoy at all. So many blends taste of nothing more than caramel flavouring.

Mac
Vcdman
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will have to look out for Antiquary 21, i dont know of it.
Gregor if you like JW blue, there is a newer JW product that you would love
JW Blue Kong George V edition.
Basically the check boxes that i dont tick with the blue label, this more than ticks and impresses. I find the blue very short and just lacking where the george v had so much depth and complexity it reminded me of a islay (not in terms of peat tho obviously)

Famous Grouse has made some ok blends. I also find Royal Salute and Chivas 18 both rather enjoyable...
Gregor
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually looking at the JW Blue King George in the airport shop last week but managed to resist, maybe sometime i will pick it up.

Gregor

Calder
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The Antiquary 21 is very good. The Famous Grouse Scottish Oak Finish is very good and also the William Grants 25 year old. I always have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label at home to offer visitors that way if they want it with a mixer no harm is done they havent destroyed a single malt, lol but if they decide to take it straight they will have a nice blended whisky.

Calder
Vcdman
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have some views on vatted malts
McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a bottle of Clan Denny (the Islay version) vatted malt which was really good, i can recommend this if you like Islay malts. Another which comes to mind which was really good value was Sainsburys 10 year Islay vatted malt.

McKay
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vatted malt (or should we call it blended malt now) which i have had in the past year which i really enjoyed was Peat Monster which is bottled by Compass Box, i think two of the main malts in it where Ardmore and Coal ila. If you are a peated whisky fan you will love the Peat Monster.

Also had the Johnnie Walker Green Label which was pretty good and it is a vatted malt unlike JW's other offering which are blends. Cant recall any other decent vatted malts i have had in recent times.

Charlie
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the Peat Monster from Compass Box, in fact i consider Compas Box's one of the best independent bottlers when it comes to vatted malts anything i have had from them has been excellent. Two others which come to mind are the Compass Box Oak Cross and Compass Box Eleuthera.

Mark
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
I also like the Peat Monster from Compass Box, in fact i consider Compas Box's one of the best independent bottlers when it comes to vatted malts anything i have had from them has been excellent. Two others which come to mind are the Compass Box Oak Cross and Compass Box Eleuthera.

Mark

I agree Mark Compass Box are pretty good at turning out the vatted malts i have enjoyed everything that i have tasted from them.

McKay, i have saw Clan Denny Islay but havent tried it yet, i shall have to pick a bottle up and i think it is only around £25 which is not bad if it is a decent Islay dram

Fergie

Islay Pete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought the Peat Monster from Compass Box was a very good vatted malt and i am sure it was only £20 when i got it which mad it a very good buy IMO.

Pete
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping away from the more expensive premium blends i would like to mention Teachers. 2 premium yet affordable blends which i would consider buying which you can pick up in most supermarkets are JW Black Label and Famous Grouse Gold Reserve.

Andy M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: