www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - New Peated Arran Single Bourbon Cask Malt

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Peated Arran Single Bourbon Cask Malt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: New Peated Arran Single Bourbon Cask Malt Reply with quote

Hi

Arran have released a new Peated Arran Single Bourbon Cask Malt - 70cl whisky. This is what Arran has to say about it:

In November 2004 we decided to lay down limited stock of a Peated version of The Arran Malt. We were so happy with the quality of the spirit produced that small batches have been produced in subsequent years with a long-term view of creating a second brand of The Arran Malt ? the Peated Dram! The malted barley used in this production has been Peated to a level of 12PPM so that the Peat does not overwhelm the intrinsic Arran character but is of sufficient character to mark the whisky as being very different to The Arran Malt.

TASTING NOTES
Colour: Straw
Aroma: Golden syrup on toast with humbugs thrown in for good measure
Palate: Vanilla-fudge to start then... whoosh the peat arrives in to whip up a storm
Finish: A wonderful balance of light & shade as the peat and the sweet linger on the senses. This is no peaty monster but rather a cracking dram full of character where the peat plays the starring role but doesn't run away with the film.

So if you like it young and peaty this may be worth a try.

William

Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi William

Thats interesting, i only just posted the other day on another thread saying Arran didnt produce any peaty/smoky stuff and now they have just released this. I see it is priced at £55 on the Arran website which is a little steep for a whisky which was only distilled in 2004 so it cant be much more than 4 year old. I would be interested in trying it though.

Charlie
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to try it before commenting on the Peated Arran but it must be a helluva whisky to justify the £55 price tag for a 4 year old.

Bookie
Islay Pete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment to release very young limited editions (sometimes not so limited) with price tags which are not justified by the age of the whisky. As long as we keep buying it at this price the distillieries will keep releasing it.

Pete
Sylas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islay Pete wrote:
There seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment to release very young limited editions (sometimes not so limited) with price tags which are not justified by the age of the whisky. As long as we keep buying it at this price the distillieries will keep releasing it.

Pete
I have noticed this trend but as you say it will continue as there will always be someone willing to pay over the top for the limited edition label.

In this case the Peated Arran is a limited release which i would love to try but i think £35 would have been a high enough price for a limited edition 4 year old, but if someone tells me it is a absolutely superb dram i would stretch to £55 for it. Has anyone tried it yet?

Sylas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: