www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - GlenDronach New Range Of Malts

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GlenDronach New Range Of Malts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: GlenDronach New Range Of Malts Reply with quote

As you may already know the GlenDronach distillery in Aberdeenshire was bought in August by the BenRiach Distillery Company from Chivas Brothers, the Scotch whisky business of French drinks giant Pernod Ricard.

Anyway GlenDronach which is one of Scotlands oldest distilleries is defying the economic downturn by beginning work on a £250,000 development of this "sleeping giant" malt whisky brand.

Bill Walker, BenRiach's managing director, said "This is the beginning of our strategy to repackage and relaunch GlenDronach in markets worldwide. We will take GlenDronach back to how it was originally, promoting it as one of Scotland's original sherried whiskies."

James Cowan, the firm's regional sales director, added: "GlenDronach is a bit of a sleeping giant and was not part of Chivas's expansion plans.

"But we have great plans for it in our markets in the UK, Germany, the US, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Italy, Switzerland, France, Canada, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong and China, among others.

"We're looking forward to breathing new life into it and giving it the attention and commitment it deserves."

Walker revealed that GlenDronach would release a new core range in March that would comprise 12, 15 and 18-year-old malts. It will also release a non-aged product, single cask bottlings and some rare vintage malts.

A major part of the investment is the development of a new visitor centre at the distillery and new website .

GlenDronach is Gaelic for "the valley of the brambles" and takes its name from the Dronach Burn, which winds its way through the grounds of the distillery.

Founded at Forgue, Aberdeenshire, in 1826 by James Allardice, one of the original whisky entrepreneurs, GlenDronach distillery today has the capacity to produce almost 1.5 million litres of whisky a year.

John

Source: The Scotsman

Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GlenDronach New Range Of Malts Reply with quote

John wrote:
Walker revealed that GlenDronach would release a new core range in March that would comprise 12, 15 and 18-year-old malts. It will also release a non-aged product, single cask bottlings and some rare vintage malts.

Thanks for the info John and Happy New Year. I wonder if the existing 12 year old is going to remain the same, as it is a very good quality sherried malt or is it going to be a new bottling. I believe the 15 and 18 year olds are completely new bottlings. Anyway if they are the quality of the existing GlenDronach 12 they will be on to a winner.

Mac
John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new year Mac. I am not sure if the 12 year old is a new bottling or the existing 12 which is very good as you say Mac. The 15 and 18 are completely new AFAIK as i dont recall seeing a 15 or 18 GlenDronach before.

John
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlenDronach is the first new release of the new year i have heard of and any new malt is always welcome especially from smaller more independent companiies such as BenRiach/GlenDronach. I wish them well with their new releases and will certainly give them a try myself. I wonder what they will be priced at?

Andy M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: