www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Connemara an Irishman with a Islay acccent

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Connemara an Irishman with a Islay acccent

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregor
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Connemara an Irishman with a Islay acccent Reply with quote

Just popped the cork on a bottle of Connemara peated Irish whiskey which i was given at Christmas. I have got to say i am very impressed, an Irishman with an Islay accent.

This one has no age statement and i see they have a 12 year old and a sherried version, are they as good and worth a try, has anyone tried them.

Gregor

Samson
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had the NAS Connemara myself, but i agree very good. They do a single cask bottling which is supposed to be very good, never had it myself though. I have also been told the sherried version isnt great. Not sure about the 12.

Samson
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregor, the Connemara Cask Strength is very good and worth a try. Samson i thought the 12 year old was ok but was not as good as the NAS or Cask Strength. I assumed after having the NAS and going by the price (around £55 now) they ask for the 12 year old that it would be superb, it isnt IMHO, it is nice enough but doesnt justify its price hike especially for just a 12 year old whiskey.

Fergie
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Connemara peated is a great dram. Like Samson i didnt think the sherried version was so good but it may be to somes taste. My pick would be the cask strength.

If anyone one is interested Connemara is produced by Cooley who has revived a number of old Irish whiskey brands. Not long ago I added a piece on Cooley and the whiskey it produces see here Cooley and Connemara

William
Gregor
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Cask Strength will be my next victim.

Thanks for the link William, i didnt realise that so many whiskies came out the same distillery. Wonder why they didnt release a Cooley whiskey.

Gregor

Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Connemara NAS for the first time this evening and i have to say it has surprised me just how good it is. I love yor description Gregor, spot on, an Irishman with an Islay accent. Why didnt i try this sooner Evil or Very Mad

Mac
Joker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that i bought a bottle of the Connemara with no age statement and it just isnt to my taste at all, i just do not like it and i cant say that i have had any other whiskies that i can say that about.

There is a lovely light peatiness but i cant stand what i can only describe as a strange chemical like fruit note. I have went back to the bottle a few times but still cannot bring myself to finish a measure of it. I was surprised to see so many enjoying it here, perhaps i got a duff bottle.

Joker
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you got a bad batch, Joker as i thought the Connemara was ok and didnt detect anything like you say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Irish Whiskey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: