www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - More Information on White Owl Whisky plus Q & A

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
More Information on White Owl Whisky plus Q & A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: More Information on White Owl Whisky plus Q & A Reply with quote

For an interesting take on White owl Whisky have a look at this Canadian Whisky Review:

http://www.aspiringgentleman.com/scotch/scotch-reviews/white-owl-whisky/

McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a glance i would swear the White Owl Whisky bottle looks like a vodka bottle.

Interesting that it says it still has the look of vodka in the glass and that they triple filter it after maturing.
Quote:
The White Owl blend is then ran through triple filtration to remove color and impurities, leaving you with, yes, a clear whisky.

Surely they must be removing a huge amount of flavour using this triple filtration process.

Quote:
It doesn't smell like whisky?
What you smell in all whiskies is the flavoring that is allowed to be added to make whiskies palatable. By law you can add up to 9.09% additives & flavorings. Some of the most common additives are caramel coloring/flavoring, artificial flavors, sherry, and/or brandy. To White Owl we add none of these. The taste therefore is a softer rye flavor and smoother than premium vodka thanks to the 10 years of aging and filtering.

I didnt realise that you could add so much to a whisky. Adding 9.09% sherry to any whisky has got to have a big influence. I wonder what the % allowance for caramel colouring is for Scotch whisky.

Cheers Quaich1, an interesting article.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKay wrote:
At a glance i would swear the White Owl Whisky bottle looks like a vodka bottle.

Interesting that it says it still has the look of vodka in the glass and that they triple filter it after maturing.
Quote:
The White Owl blend is then ran through triple filtration to remove color and impurities, leaving you with, yes, a clear whisky.

Surely they must be removing a huge amount of flavour using this triple filtration process.

Quote:
It doesn't smell like whisky?
What you smell in all whiskies is the flavoring that is allowed to be added to make whiskies palatable. By law you can add up to 9.09% additives & flavorings. Some of the most common additives are caramel coloring/flavoring, artificial flavors, sherry, and/or brandy. To White Owl we add none of these. The taste therefore is a softer rye flavor and smoother than premium vodka thanks to the 10 years of aging and filtering.

I didnt realise that you could add so much to a whisky. Adding 9.09% sherry to any whisky has got to have a big influence. I wonder what the % allowance for caramel colouring is for Scotch whisky.

Cheers Quaich1, an interesting article.

Thanks McKay. I was quite surprised by the amount of flavor and distinctiveness of this whisky. It looks exactly like Vodka but the taste puts it into context immediately. It also tastes like a much higher %abv whisky than it actually is in my opinion. People are quite intrigued with it here in Canada.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Canadian Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: