www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Who Took The Smoke Out Of Highland Park

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Who Took The Smoke Out Of Highland Park

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Who Took The Smoke Out Of Highland Park Reply with quote

Maybe my sense of taste has been numbed over the years but i have come to the conclusion that Highland Park 12 year old doesn't have the same level of sweet peaty smokiness either on the nose or in the taste that it used to have.

I bought 4 bottles at Christmas when the supermarkets had them on offer and i opened the forth bottle tonight and once again like the first 3 bottles i think the level of peaty smokiness on the nose and the sweet smoky taste is not as strong as it used to be. I would normally have put this down to the individual bottle but this is the forth bottle with which i thave thought this. After opening the fourth bottle i then opened a old miniature bottle of HP 12 which i had and there it was the level of peaty smokiness i expect in the HP 12.

Don't get me wrong i still really enjoyed the HP12 and will always buy it as it is a quality malt but i do think it has altered a little and i was a little dissappointed. Has anyone else thought this or maybe i am losing my sense of taste and smell. Perhaps the four bottles i had all came from the same batch which i suppose is a possibility as they where all purchased at the same time.

Keith

Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith

I cant say i have noticed a change in the smoky peat level in the HP12, i can still detect the low level of sweet peat smokiness. Perhaps as you say the bottles you had where all from the same batch.

Mark
islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Took The Smoke Out Of Highland Park Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Maybe my sense of taste has been numbed over the years but i have come to the conclusion that Highland Park 12 year old doesn't have the same level of sweet peaty smokiness either on the nose or in the taste that it used to have.
I bought 4 bottles at Christmas when the supermarkets had them on offer and i opened the forth bottle tonight and once again like the first 3 bottles i think the level of peaty smokiness on the nose and the sweet smoky taste is not as strong as it used to be. I would normally have put this down to the individual bottle but this is the forth bottle with which i thave thought this. After opening the fourth bottle i then opened a old miniature bottle of HP 12 which i had and there it was the level of peaty smokiness i expect in the HP 12.
Don't get me wrong i still really enjoyed the HP12 and will always buy it as it is a quality malt but i do think it has altered a little and i was a little dissappointed. Has anyone else thought this or maybe i am losing my sense of taste and smell. Perhaps the four bottles i had all came from the same batch which i suppose is a possibility as they where all purchased at the same time.
Keith

Hi Keith,
Highland Park has always been one of my favorite drams and it would not surprise me that they may have changed the consistency of the whisky to fit in with the demand from the "new" drinkers around the world. Evil or Very Mad
The same happened to Macallan when they changed to Fine Oak. Also remember, they both belong to the same owners, Edrington. Neutral
Slainte Rene
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith

You may have a point saying it isnt as smoky as it was. As Rene says i also wouldnt be surprised if it has been altered slightly to fit in with the demand from the new drinkers around the world. It is still a great whisky.

Andy M
Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am convinced it has altered slightly, but as i said i will still buy it.
As you say Rene, Edrington have done this before.
Keith
Mad Mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they havent messed around with the 18 year old. It is one of the best malts you can buy IMO.

Mad Mac

Gary H

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Mac wrote:
As long as they havent messed around with the 18 year old. It is one of the best malts you can buy IMO.

Mad Mac
Mad Mac, I cant say i have noticed any change in the Highland Park 18, and i agree with you it is one of the best drams for your money.

Gary
Gregor
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highland Park is a regular dram of mine, but wouldnt it be great to get a smokier version of Highland Park.

Gregor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: