www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Good whisky for scotch and soda?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Good whisky for scotch and soda?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony-WX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Good whisky for scotch and soda? Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to the world of whisky but have really taken an interest in the last 3 or 4 months. While I tend to prefer to enjoy my whiskies neat or with a drop of water, every now and then I do get a hankering for a scotch and soda.

Are there any whiskies that go particularly well to make a scotch and soda in your opinion? So far, Johnnie Walker Black Label has been my favourite but I'm hoping for more suggestions.

I posted this in the Blends forum as I imagine that most people would use blends for cocktails. That said, I have no moral objection to mixing single malts if it tastes good, especially if it brings out new elements in the flavour profile (which I have heard some people claim with a good single malt and soda - maybe the salt can bring unexpected results?).

Hodge
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt think any soda would bring out any elements of flavour in a blended whisky or a single malt, it would simply dull the taste of the whisky but everyone should drink whisky the way they best enjoy it. Some say there is a right or wrong way to drink whisky but that is nonsense.

Obviously the quality and profile of whatever whisky you use will come through whether you add, water, ice, soda or create a cocktail, so the better the whisky the better the drink. But if you take it straight or just add a little water you will taste the true flavour profile of the whisky.
Tony-WX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, although I can well imagine that the combination of saltiness (as salt is widely used to bring out flavours in food) and fizz might change the way that the flavours are perceived. For example, with the Black Label, the flavours of the blend are robust enough to largely withstand a splash of soda water but, for me, it also brings to the fore a slightly different balance of fruity esters (with an almost strawberry-like note which did not seem anywhere near as prominent to me when sipping it neat or with a little filtered water).
Innes
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i only take my whisky as it comes out the bottle or with a little water. However my brother will only take his whisky with soda and swears blended whisky is best. He has tried many single malts with soda but still prefers the blends. His choice would be Johnnie Walker Black label and Chivas Regal 12 for an affordable every day dram. When he is drinking something a bit more special it would be Johnnie Walker Blue Label, Chivas Regal 25 or Cutty Sark 25, all of which he drinks with soda.

I guess there must be something in the blend of malt and grain whisky when mixed with soda that he prefers rather than just a single malt whisky mixed with soda.
Tony-WX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! I wasn't that blown away by the couple of Chivas Regals which I tried neat, but I think I have a miniature around the place somewhere so I might give it a go with the soda this week and see.

I've tried a small sample of the Johnnie Walker Blue Label and thought that, while very enjoyable, the flavours nuances were rather subtle already - you never know though, it could well work. And I've read good things about the Cutty Sark 25 in a few places now. I'd really like to try that at some point but - while I'm no purist about mixing things with whisky - whether I'd ever be brave enough to pay £100+ for a scotch and then throw in a mixer is another matter entirely!
Innes
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is only a dash of soda he adds, it is certainly nowhere near a long drink he has. It is about 2 parts whisky and 1 part soda.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: