www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Abelour 12

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Abelour 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neildsimpson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Abelour 12 Reply with quote

Hello all, I am new here so please forgive any naive or misguided remarks.
I have been drinking Glenfiddich/Jura/Glenmorangie and various other supermarket single malts for a long time, only occasionally, but was recently bought an Aberlour 12 year old. I have found it far superior to anything I have previously enjoyed, which has suprised me, as it's not expensive. I think the main reason is that I now realise that the others have an unpleasant aftertaste which the Aberlour lacks. In fact it has ruined my other whiskies for me, I don't want to drink anything else now! Is this aftertaste a known phenomenon, is it related to quality or age, and can anyone recommend a next step in my education?

AdyT
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be the sherry cask influence in the Aberlour 12 you may be particularly enjoying, I would suggest you may also enjoy Balvenie 12 year old Doublewood, Glendronach 12 year old or something from Glenfarclas such as the 10, 12 and 15 year old.
Archer
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do enjoy Aberlour 12, you should have a look at the Tamnavulin range they have some great sherry and wine matured whiskies particularly the one I am drinking this evening, Tamnavulin Red Wine Cask Edition French Cabernet Sauvignon Cask
neildsimpson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the replies, I am intruiged by the Tamnavulin, will definitely give that one a go!
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neildsimpson wrote:
Thank you both for the replies, I am intruiged by the Tamnavulin, will definitely give that one a go!

Neild, I had the privelege of tasting a 45 yerar old Tamnavullin. Here's my taste notes from 2012:

Tamnavulin 45 Year Old Cask 10279 Director's Cut (Douglas Laing) 40.1%ABV

Tasted Neat...

Color-Amber

Nose: Bartlett pears in vanilla ice cream with flecks of cinnamon and nutmeg begin the journey. Lichee nuts in syrup with cantaloupe wedges are a logical accompaniment. As the dram opens, the aromas build in intensity and depth; shades of thick Orange Julep (Montreal style) beckons with enthusiasm along with the peel of blood oranges. Aromatic pipe tobacco satisfies with Niagara ice wine reminiscences.

Body-Full

Taste: Syrupy yet smooth, thick black cherry compote, Black Forest cake and fine dark chocolate enter with pomp and circumstance and satisfy with layer upon layer of full rich delight.

Finish: Long, hints of Baco Noire (VSOP Canadian wine memories) call out with wisps of subdued grape jelly. The mildest of tannins come in with their own stylish flourish. Select Turkish delight redirects the profile yet again like a prism reflecting light.

Comments: The Tamnavulin 45 year has a voluptuous nose that keeps on giving. The taste builds up to another level that only age can accomplish while the finish waves a bright flag of accomplishment and zest with continued flavor and weight. This is a very special dram.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: