www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - The Half Century blend x 3 2016/17/18-The Blended Whisky Co

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Half Century blend x 3 2016/17/18-The Blended Whisky Co

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: The Half Century blend x 3 2016/17/18-The Blended Whisky Co Reply with quote

As part of an old blend H2H I tasted these 3 offerings from The Blended Whisky Company.

The Half Century Blend 50 year 2016 45.5% – 86/74/77
The Half Century Blend 50 year 2017 46.4% – 85/84/83
The Half Century Blend 50 year 2018? 47.3% – 82/86/83

Now many people get excited about any whisky that is 50 years old, I know I do regardless of whether it be a blend, blended malt, single grain or single malt etc.
The thing is on release these were £600 and the quality on show for these 3 bottles is way below what it should be at that price.
At best they are decent whisky but they lack depth of profile and all 3 are a bit dull but batch 2 palate for better than the others.
The results of these 3 50 year olds reinforces my opinion that much of the time TBWC
as they do not seem to offer the best IB whisky.

Please note - I am assuming here that BIWC belong to TBWC.

I put them in the same bracket as Blackadder but actually they are not even that good.
You are paying for the fact that these are 50 years old if you buy from an auction now, if you were buying on taste alone maybe £50 tops at auction, just my 2 cents worth as they say.

Very brief tasting notes

2016 Batch 1

The nose is pleasant with wisps of smoke and stewed white fruits then honey and the faintest hint of peat.
After about 5 minutes in the glass more peat emerges, the nose gets better.
The palate has the fruit but it is bitter, sour would be a better description which is a shame, it is like grapefruit but a bitter grapefruit.
I like the creaminess of the palate but even with water there is too much woody bitterness.
I am really sensitive to bitterness so I would think other people would give this a better score.
The nose is by far the best part.

2017 Batch 2
The nose is lively, full of white fruits and lemon sherbet with a hint of lime and grapefruit.
Like the first batch there is bitterness in the white fruits the nose hinted at but this is not as bitter as batch 1 thankfully.
Creamy palate on white fruits, some peat, white pepper leading to a soothing almost medicinal finish which is pretty good.

2018 Batch 3

The nose is pretty dull on this one, nondescript basically white fruits and icing sugar.
The palate is creamy with some spice, and unlike batch 1 and to a lesser extent batch 2, this one is not bitter thankfully and quite nice, verging on sweet but truth be told this is my 3rd 50 year TBWC offering and I am bored now, the profile is not interesting enough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: