www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - glendronach 1968 44 year old recherche

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
glendronach 1968 44 year old recherche

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raudenieks
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: glendronach 1968 44 year old recherche Reply with quote

Hi,
What would be an acceptable price for glendronach 1968 44 year old recherche?
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/20998/glendronach-1968-recherche-44-year-old-cask-5[/img]

torcross
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using auction prices as a guide round about £3500 as an average
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An acceptable price for something like this would be £700 , the issue is we live in crazy times where the value of whisky is governed by investors & to a lesser extent collectors and not drinkers.
The value put on all whisky now has risen in some cases by 3-400% in the last 2 years, this is madness but hey if people are willing to pay it then the sky is the limit I suppose.

I do not deem value merely by looking at what people are willing to pay for something or fancy packaging but on the quality of the spirit inside the bottle. The reason these bottles are so expensive is because not many people open them sadly and actually taste them.

I have not tasted this Glendronach that is £5500 from a shop,in the UK but I have tried a number of the famed 1972 single casks that are rated as highly as this one and I could only get one over 90 points, these Glendronach are nice sherried whisky but not great yet they go for £1000's at auction, crazy.

Glendronach like Macallan has a sweet spot at 17-22 years give or take a year, the extra ageing does not improve the taste IMHO.
Islay Pete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auction prices are often very different from shop prices and cannot really be used to gauge whether a shop price is good, auction prices can be as much as half the price of the shop prices for high end single malts.
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine judges the value of bottles to be high-end retailers' showcased prices, even where those bottles have dust-gathered on shop shelves for months or years.

I tell him that his methodolgy is flawed, because the only true marker is what bottles actually sell for - ie the auction hammet prices achieved.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eelbrook wrote:
A friend of mine judges the value of bottles to be high-end retailers' showcased prices, even where those bottles have dust-gathered on shop shelves for months or years.

I tell him that his methodolgy is flawed, because the only true marker is what bottles actually sell for - ie the auction hammet prices achieved.

Agreed that a bottle of whisky is only worth what people are willing to pay but in this massively inflated whisky world investors are willing to pay over the odds .I think it boils down to whether you are a drinker or collector where your value compass sits.

eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't diasagree with a word of that.

Certainly, there are some bottles that I've acquiredfor their 'historical value' (eg from long-lost distilleries) that I'd not have bought as drinkers
torcross
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lincoln imp"]An acceptable price for something like this would be £700

Based on what? the question was 'what would be an acceptable price' and although at auction (rightly or wrongly) they are going for a lot more,you really think a price of £700 would be acceptable? this is purely based on your own opinion and what you think about the whole whisky market.

I gave my opinion based on the current market which is (as you well know) what the the OP was asking.

I remember saying on here that I purchased The Macallan Exceptional Cask 13 from Harrods at £325 per bottle and said it was still available (that many on here purchased and some thought it was an April fools joke) but you said something like 'why have you bought six bottles, what if you don't like it'. Well if I didn't like it and paid £325 and it was going for £2000 a bottle what do you think? By the way it was superb.
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'open-market' value is what bottles sell for at auction.

This is different from the subjective value ascribed to a bottle by one individual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: