www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Highland Park 12

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Highland Park 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAMJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Highland Park 12 Reply with quote

I'm relatively new to whisky. I have a few cheap bottles in my collect including Jura 10, Cardhu 12, Glennfiddich rich oak and just recently purchased Highland Park 12. Before I buy a bottle I have a quick read up on reviews, mainly on The Whisky Exchange web site. All of the said bottles above had good reviews, and I am a fan of all but one, the Highland Park. I really think it smells and tastes like TCP. What is that I can taste?

Calder
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference between the Highland Park 12 and the Jura 10, Cardhu 12, Glennfiddich that you enjoyed is the HP 12 has a trace of peaty smokiness both on the nose and in the taste, perhaps this is what you dislike so much. I wouldnt have described it as TCP but many people do describe peat smoke in whisky as a medicinal taste.
Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you are very sensitive to peat/smoke and have a dislike for it although the peat in Highland Park is only a trace as Calder says.
SAMJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, TCP was a bit extreme, medicinal is a far better description of the taste. I think I will keep clear of smokey/peaty tasting whisky. Although I am intrigued to know whether it is the smoke, peat or both that I dislike. I really like the Jura 10 and would like to try the 12 but the description mentions peat?! Only one way to find out I suppose. Thank you both for your help.
Acker
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite often many people do not like peaty whisky at first but later develop a taste for it.
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAMJ wrote:
You're right, TCP was a bit extreme, medicinal is a far better description of the taste. I think I will keep clear of smokey/peaty tasting whisky. Although I am intrigued to know whether it is the smoke, peat or both that I dislike. I really like the Jura 10 and would like to try the 12 but the description mentions peat?! Only one way to find out I suppose. Thank you both for your help.

In terms of whisky flavour, smoke and peat mean the same thing essentially. The smokiness you taste is a result of the barley being infused with phenols from peat fire smoke. Most whiskies actually have some smokiness as a result, but in most of these cases it's practically undetectable.

Jura 10 is a nice sweet and light whisky, but I'm a bit confused when you mention the 12 year-old - I didn't think there was one? Unless you mean the Jura Superstition. I've never had it, but from the description I would guess it would have similar smoke levels to Highland Park. (i.e. not that high but if you don't have a taste for it you probably won't like it)

If you like the Glenfiddich you have why not try another one? Their 15 y/o Solera is excellent - rich and sweet with a nice spiciness.

SAMJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After writting that last post i looked up "peat" to find it was a moss used to dry and smoke the barley. I probably should of looked that up before i made a comment, ha.

A few of you have said that the peat taste is only slight in the Highland Park 12? I certainly would not like to try a strong peat whisky in that case.

I stand corrected, i did mean Jura superstition. I am going to give that bottle a miss i think!

Has anyone tried any Japanese whiskeys?
Kenny M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAMJ wrote:

Here is a couple of good posts about Japanese whisky which were posted by John and Crane
Crane wrote:
Yes Japanese whisky does resemble Scotch whisky as it should because Japanese whisky production is modelled on the Scottish system of being double distilled in pot stills.

The reason the production method is so similar is that the method was brought to Japan by Masataka Taketsuru (and his Scottish wife from Glasgow), Taketsuru is considered the father of Japanese whisky.

Having said that Japanese whisky has its own defining style, yes it is close to Scotch but it is not Scotch. It is still a relatively young industry in Japan, started 1920's but they have improved what they have produced over the years, in fact it has improved so much in recent years some of its whisky is now finding its way to the worldwide marketplace. Certainly a whisky producing country to watch for in the future.

Crane

John wrote:
Hi Vcdman and welcome to the SMW Forum

Although Japanese whisky is similar to Scotch whisky it does have its own individual character. A defining element of Japanese whisky is that their single malt is not malty. There are no cereal notes. Even a non-malty Scotch single malt will seem to be filled with cereal notes when compared to a Japanese malt. In order to achieve this Japanese distillers avoid any solids from the grist being brought through from the mash tun to the washback.

A wide mix of yeasts, some unique to a single distillery, is also employed, allowing the creation of distinct flavours, while the use of long frementation builds complexity and aromatic elements and reduces cereal elements. And of course the climate in Japan has its part to play.

Yes it is similar but is is not Scotch.

John

SAMJ if you are looking to try Japanese whisky be aware some of it is peated. A good starting Japanese single malt whisky would be Suntory Yamazaki 10 year old which is very similar in style to a Speyside malt and usually easy to find in the UK.
SAMJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the information on Japanese whiskey Kenny.

I have looked at Suntory Yamazaki 10 as they sell it in most the supermarkets. I've done a small amount of research and have decided to go for the Yamazaki 12, it has very good reviews. It doesn't say anything about peat in the tasting notes so hopefully its to my liking.

Has anyone tried Yamazaki 12?
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamazaki 10 is good and the Yamazaki 12 is even better IMO. No trace of peat in the 10 or 12 year old. As Kenny said very similar in style to a Speyside malt whiskies
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAMJ wrote:
After writting that last post i looked up "peat" to find it was a moss used to dry and smoke the barley. I probably should of looked that up before i made a comment, ha.

A few of you have said that the peat taste is only slight in the Highland Park 12? I certainly would not like to try a strong peat whisky in that case.

I stand corrected, i did mean Jura superstition. I am going to give that bottle a miss i think!

That's right, Highland Park 12 is not heavily peated. I would've thought it's the ideal introduction to the more 'coastal' flavour of whiskies since it's very nicely balanced with a rich variety of flavours. Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Talisker and Bowmore are all peatier than Highland Park so I guess these are the ones you should steer clear of. I remember once opening a Lagavulin with a friend of mine who doesn't drink much whisky - he said it made the room smell like barbecue!
Ingo74

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acker wrote:
Quite often many people do not like peaty whisky at first but later develop a taste for it.

This is so true. I almost baulked when I tried my first Lagavulin, but I've grown to love the peat monsters!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: