www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Cork Break!

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cork Break!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihasadram
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Cork Break! Reply with quote

I had the first cork in years break on me. First time opening a bottle of Bunnahabhain Stuireadair. Is this cork issue common with this whiskey?

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a few bottles and no issue , some people pull the cork quickly but I tend to take my time until I see what it looks like , might just be bad luck chap.
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few bottles of Bunna Stuireadair and have not had any problems with the cork. Did you get it from a supermarket, as any problem corks i have had in recent times have been bottles purchased in a supermarket, I put it down to them probably storing the bottle on its side for a long period.
Duncan Disorderly
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good chance to dust off that crystal decanter at the back of your cupboard! I’ve only had one bottle of Bunna Stuireadair. Got it from Tesco and the cork was fine… why not write to them and let them know (they might even send you something drinkable)
Ihasadram
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased it at a liquor store, but it was one of those large liquor superstores called “Specs” we have in Texas. They sell some food too, but not much. Imports. Gourmet cheeses, nuts, etc. some larger ones have a deli inside.

I usually don’t even try no age dec barley malts, but I finally managed to try Wee Beastie and so I’m branching out. This particular bottle is my first time trying the Stuireadair and I did transfer it to a decanter. I don’t want to be quick to judge because my tastes can change depending on the day or what I ate recently, and maybe I got a bad bottle? I do like some other offerings from this distillery, but it’s been awhile since I found the 18 yo anywhere and with tariffs added a few years ago, I’m generally confining my larger purchases to the peated malts anyway. Lagavulin 16, Corryvrecken. Talkisker 18 if I can find it. But lately I’ve been hogging all the local Wee Beastie.
jean55

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that some liquor stores, especially the large ones, can store the bottles on their side or in an environment with varying temperature which can affect the cork. It might have just been a one-off incident, but it's always worth reaching out to the store to let them know about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: