www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Barley or Grain

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Barley or Grain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Barley or Grain Reply with quote

Okay a question for you all..

Why is a single malt made with Barley worth more then a single Grain?

I am talking about whisky made in the UK mainly but Ireland could be included in this as well.

Also is there any really good grain whisky's out there that are worth a try?

Jimny14
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmmmm, marketing, tradition, personal taste. Maybe barley makes a more palatable drink quicker than other grains? I'm sure someone else will be along soon to give a more educated answer.
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Barley or Grain Reply with quote

DillyT wrote:
Also is there any really good grain whisky's out there that are worth a try?

So many amazing single grain whiskies out there. My experience so far has been that almost anything over 25yr has been well worth the purchase. Strathclyde, Invergordon, Cameronbridge. Not opened a Garnheath or Dumbarton yet but they're lurking in my cupboard ready Smile Old Perth have done some lovely aged blended grains too.

Whisky Broker Strathclyde 30yr Rum finish was lovely. As was a Douglais Laing 14yr Strathclyde that had been PX matured.

The only exception for me has been Girvan, I've yet to find one that has agreed with me.

In terms of the price, grain is made on an industrial scale so there is way more of it which keeps production costs lower. It has been creeping up in price however and will continue to do so I think, but should mostly lag behind malt.
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Webdunk for the list of things to try I will keep an eye out when I am out shopping in shops I should be keeping out of Wink

I managed to get a bottle of the 50 year old DL XOP Black series North of Scotland to be one of the bottles I am going to open on the week of my 50th which I am looking forward too Top Malt
Kray
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is whisky produced using distilled malted barley offers more flavour than cheaper grain whisky but with a good choice of cask to mature grain whisky for an extended period it can be every bit as enjoyable as a single malt whisky.
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single malt is barley only and considered the premium product, grain whisky only came about to make whisky cheaper. It was generally blended with malt whisky to create Blended whiskies. Doesn't mean there isn't good single grain out there, and they our quite a bit cheaper as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: