www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Game of Thrones - Page 8

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Game of Thrones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unblended
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does that include all the single bottles that are in the auction Rolling Eyes

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unblended wrote:
does that include all the single bottles that are in the auction Rolling Eyes

No it does not

SWA have in in total 570 lots (including the 111 full full sets) and Whisky auctioneer 400 so I doubt priced will be very high, we will see?
dirge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lagavulins were going for £45 so £20 below retail.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirge wrote:
The Lagavulins were going for £45 so £20 below retail.

This is what happens when flippers do not do their homework and think something that is relatively cheap and quite widely available with make them a handsome profit.
Timing is everything the few that were in the 93rd & 94th SWA went for £230-£360, that figure was noted by everyone with an avalanche of bottles on the 95th and hey presto, losses.
unblended
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont you just love when a plan comes together

some people are still trying to sell the empty containers for £ 800.00
on gumtree Laughing
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diageo knows how to play the market, and as they are all sold out (seamingly) they just bottle some more in the meantime.

CountDramcula

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the bottles of Thrones Lochnagar on WA and can't understand why the first couple of lots are already bid up to silly money while the other 100 odd bottles are sitting at 15 quid each...

The logical thing would be to filter by lowest price first and bid accordingly; surely people aren't that lazy that they'll pay wildly over the odds for the first bottle that appears in the search results (currently £110), when another bottle for a tenth of the price is available in the later lot numbers.....seems a bit fishy to me....
unblended
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does makes you wonder sometimes it must be certain buyers Embarassed

i think they will eventually all will be a lot more money
if i bid i do it later so hopefully you dont pay silly money as some do early on
something similar used to happen on ebay and the bids can get pushed up
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CountDramcula wrote:
Just looked at the bottles of Thrones Lochnagar on WA and can't understand why the first couple of lots are already bid up to silly money while the other 100 odd bottles are sitting at 15 quid each...

The logical thing would be to filter by lowest price first and bid accordingly; surely people aren't that lazy that they'll pay wildly over the odds for the first bottle that appears in the search results (currently £110), when another bottle for a tenth of the price is available in the later lot numbers.....seems a bit fishy to me....

Never rule out money laundering... haha
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CountDramcula wrote:

There are two trains of thought here, the first is that some people cannot be bothered to wait so just bid high to start with and hope it is high enough.
The 2nd view ia that some auctions may have a lot of bottles and bid up a few to high levels price wise just to drum up interest and encourage people to bid more.

I have noticed some auction sites that have been set up in the last few years seem to get really high returns yet have little exposure, high returns on paper at least?

I do think generally on some auction sites there is some things that make little sense. to me anyway.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CountDramcula wrote:

There are two trains of thought here, the first is that some people cannot be bothered to wait so just bid high to start with and hope it is high enough.
The 2nd view ia that some auctions may have a lot of bottles and bid up a few to high levels price wise just to drum up interest and encourage people to bid more.

I have noticed some auction sites that have been set up in the last few years seem to get really high returns yet have little exposure, high returns on paper at least?

I do think generally on some auction sites there is some things that make little sense. to me anyway.
Bazzaritchie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they are all (apart from the Cardhu) still available on amazon! Am I missing something? I had pre ordered them all and then cancelled as I won a Genesis and couldnt justify both to the wife! There seems to be a never ending stock so why are people paying through the nose to buy at auction?

deadz101
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lunacy of herd mentality both buying and selling. Have to say I’ve done it myself with the likes of glenfiddich project xx a few years back.
CountDramcula

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of the Lochnagar bottles have sold on SWA for 40 quid a piece this evening....WA results in tomorrow; given the avalanche of bottles there, I'm guessing 30 pounds a piece....
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There where sets of 8 bottles on the SWA with a reserve of £400 and sets of 9 bottles at £450 not getting any bids which is a big cry from the £1300 they hit a month or so ago. I think this is just a sign that there are loads of flippers out there trying to jump on the bandwagon and make a quick Pound are not getting there fingers burnt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: