www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Head to head-Famous Jubilee vs. The Black Grouse- Alpha

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Head to head-Famous Jubilee vs. The Black Grouse- Alpha

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Head to head-Famous Jubilee vs. The Black Grouse- Alpha Reply with quote

Now here's a very interesting head-to-head comparison I made today between the Famous Jubilee Special Limited Edition and The Black Grouse- Alpha.

Famous Jubilee- Neat

Nose:
Fruity, oranges, salted butter, carmels, light sweet smoke, hint of sponge candy, refreshing, cream soda and sherry note.

Palate:
Citrus marmalade, spice, mint, mocha coffee, chocolate and walnuts.

Finish:
Lingering spice, hint of polished leather and espresso morphing into French vanilla.

*This is a robust blended scotch oozing fine Macallan and Highland Park notes. I didn't add any water with this one.

The Black Grouse-Alpha Edition - Neat

Nose:
Pungent, BBQ smoke, cloves, sea air, earthy, lime sherbet, a kissing cousin of Yoichi 10 on the nose and creme caramel.

Palate:
Spicy, toffee, salted butter, freshly chopped oak, some waves of peat float by.

Finish:
Lingering, oaky, black pepper corns( freshly ground), ash and spice.

This is a powerful dram for only 40%abv. Apparently, some batches have a sulphur problem according to a pundit. No issue here with this one.

The Famous Jubilee is a smooth tasteful dram that could easily be a favorite blend, up there with Ballantine's 17. The Black Grouse Alpha is an expression tailored to the scotch blend connoisseur.

**** I then tried a a few drops of water with the Alpha which really gives it a different
taste profile.Opens with black licorice notes and fresh sawdust on the nose.
On the palate, the water creates a maltier note with thin layers of peat and fresh ground cloves. On the finish, the water creates a surge of earthiness, sandy loam soil and is lasting.

James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for your notes on these. I havent tried any of these but i have always had a soft spot for the Famous Grouse, probably the blend i drunk most as a young man back in Scotland. They had a Famous Grouse Gold Reserve 12 year old a while back which was excellent not sure if they still produce it now.
Kava
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James the Famous Grouse Gold Reserve 12 year old is still around, you will find it in whisky shops and direct from the Famous Grouse website but i havent seen it on the supermarket shelves for some time. I agree it is a great expression of the Famous Grouse. I dont know why the Edrington group didnt push it mpre as it could have easily competed at the same level in the market place as Johnnie Walker 12 Black Label.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: