www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - 1940 Bottle of red label with wood framed Photo of same

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
1940 Bottle of red label with wood framed Photo of same

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootinfishin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: 1940 Bottle of red label with wood framed Photo of same Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm constantly moving around as I'm in the navy so am going to try to sell the above as every time I move I worry it will get damaged which would be a shame having survived over 70 years.

Its the 1940 era bottle full to shoulder with lead sealing tag nowadays only found on blue label or better. It is advertised as by appointment to the late king George V.

I also have the original London Illustrated News page advertising the exact same bottle which is framed in a pale wood and glass frame of 18"x14" size. It is from the 'good work-good whisky series.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me an idea of what I should be asking for the Whisky and picture together?

Cheers
Shootinfishin

McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a difficult one to put a price on. A bottle by itself sold for £250 at McTears back in 2007, see here:
http://www.catalogue-host.co.uk/mctears/2007-09-28/lot_307?prev_page=browse%20results%2c%20page%207%20of%2011&prev_url=%2fmctears%2f2007-09-28%2fpage_7

So i would guesstimate today the bottle by itself could fetch up to £400 at auction but accompanied by the advertisement/picture it will obviously appeal to collectors but i wouldnt like to hazard a guess to how much more it would add to the value. I think it will depend who is bidding on the day at auction, if you decide to go that route. All you need is 2 Johnnie Walker enthuisasts competing against each other at auction and the picture could ramp up the price you get.
shootinfishin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thank you very much for that!

Well I'm not a greedy sort and £250 is far more than I paid for it some years ago so I would happy to let it go for £250 with the framed advertisement included.

So I suppose if anyone wants it please get in touch, first come first....served lol Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: