www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Cotswolds Hearts and Crafts series

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cotswolds Hearts and Crafts series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan Disorderly
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Cotswolds Hearts and Crafts series Reply with quote

Today I dragged my family to visit Bourton-on-the-water so I could try and buy Cotswolds Distillery's latest Hearts and Crafts limited edition. 1500 bottles and just a couple hundred remain, so I wanted to visit the shop and taste it before spending £100. Half of Birmingham were spending their Mayday Monday in this chocolate box town, hilariously titled "Venice of The Midlands", but we had a decent day.

I tasted 3 different limited editions and whilst I'm not eloquent enough to write a proper report, here are my thoughts. Note: all of their whisky is NCF natural colour.

First up, Spanish Oak (50%) Using Oloroso sherry casks, first-fill ex-red wine and bourbon barrels. 3500 bottles made. This tasted almost exactly like their signature single malt. Quality vanilla style. No age. Not different enough to make me want to pay 3 times the price (£100) but extremely lovely.

Next was the Flaxan Vale from their harvest series (53.9%). Using American Oak PX, Spanish Oak Oloroso and Peated casks. 3500 bottles made, also no age. This was the least impressive of the 3 in my opinion, but those who prefer a very smooth dram will no doubt enjoy. My initial thought was 'cream of soda'. I'd happily sip it, but not at £100 a bottle.

Finally, by far the star of the show, the Hearts and Crafts 2024 release matured in Pineau des Charentes French Oak casks (55%). They only released 1500 bottles and I'm happy to now own one of them. Its a full bodied powerhouse with bags of flavour... think A'bunadh but more refined. Much like the Aberlour sherry-bomb, they don't tell you the age. The disillery has only been going for 10 years, so we know all of their whiskies are young, but the people behind the scenes must be very talented. This is a real stunner.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried some of their less available whiskies... if so, I'd love to know your thoughts. Cheers

Torrie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent tried any of their limited releases, tbh the price for what will be relatively youmg whiskies which i havent pre-tasted before buying puts me off and you dont see many reviews to encourage you to splash the cash on them. Sounds like you got your moneys worth with the Hearts and Crafts 2024 bottling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: