www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Malt Whisky Bucket List

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Malt Whisky Bucket List

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BubbaLikesIt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Malt Whisky Bucket List Reply with quote

I've never been to Scotland. Damn shame. My wife and I are planning to take a private whisky tour this summer and for the life of me, I don't know where to start. So many places to go, it's hard to make up your mind. Any experience with this would help. As it is now, my plan is just to show up and wing it. Might be exactly what we do.

DanO
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distilleries are open all year round give or take a few days such as Christmas and new years day. Many distilleries are open to the public and you can simply turn up and pay the price for a standard tour. Some distilleries offer more in-depth tours and tasting experiences which in most cases you have to book in advance, if you are really into your whisky I would recommend the in-depth tours and tastings.

A few distilleries worth visiting are Glenfarclas, the Balvenie in Speyside and if you like the peaty Islay whiskies then you could take in all the Islay distilleries in 3 or 4 days.
BubbaLikesIt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanO wrote:
Distilleries are open all year round give or take a few days such as Christmas and new years day. Many distilleries are open to the public and you can simply turn up and pay the price for a standard tour. Some distilleries offer more in-depth tours and tasting experiences which in most cases you have to book in advance, if you are really into your whisky I would recommend the in-depth tours and tastings.

A few distilleries worth visiting are Glenfarclas, the Balvenie in Speyside and if you like the peaty Islay whiskies then you could take in all the Islay distilleries in 3 or 4 days.

That's some really good help. Thank you. We've never rushed a holiday and this trip will be like the rest. We intend on staying 3 or 4 weeks to see the sights and visit the distilleries. My wife wants to visit this quilt making place, I don't know much about it. I'm going to be up to my gunnels in whisky and beer.
Jontymo
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are booked in for the Warehouse no.1 tour at Glengoyne 2 weeks tomorrow. To say I am excited is an understatement, wife is booked in as well so will come away with 2 x 200 ml bottles of what we try! Just need to decide what else to purchase.
James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some planning is needed particularly regards accommodation in certain places at certain times of year. Speyside is a must on any whisky tour as it has the biggest concentration of distilleries, I would recommend the Craigellachie Hotel in Speyside as a great base to visit many of the distilleries in Speyside and Balvenie, Aberlour and Glenfarclas are must visit distilleries they all offer special tours which are worth taking.
BubbaLikesIt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T wrote:
Some planning is needed particularly regards accommodation in certain places at certain times of year. Speyside is a must on any whisky tour as it has the biggest concentration of distilleries, I would recommend the Craigellachie Hotel in Speyside as a great base to visit many of the distilleries in Speyside and Balvenie, Aberlour and Glenfarclas are must visit distilleries they all offer special tours which are worth taking.

Excellent information. We were looking for a cottage rental for two weeks accommodation in the Speyside area. Nothing yet, but still looking. My wife wants to visit "Speyside Quilt" and we still don't know where it is exactly. We're nailing that down right now. Does anyone know much about the Talisker distillery? I may leave my wife.......got you....in the Speyside area and strike out for the west coast and the lowlands on my own for a week. We have no time constraints and had planned to stay a month......could be six weeks. We have a plan to rent a small RV and do some sight seeing in the more northern remote beach areas. We are very flexible.

webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talisker is a lovely dram and the distillery is in a wonderful location. The Distillery / tour however left me a little cold - too corporate/Diageo-esque.

You sound like you have a load of time so I reckon the best bet will be to set up one or two particular distillery visits and then wing the rest. One of the great joys of wandering about Speyside is accidentally tripping over familiar names as you explore.

From my perspective, much as we love the diversity of the drams they produce, actual distillery tours are very same-y. They all do the same thing so that's not so much a criticism as a reality.

There are some wonderful whisky shops in the area which are well worth a visit for unearthing hidden gems or unusual bottlings. Often tastings are easily available and staff well capable of directing you to drams you are likely to enjoy.

Not quite summer (in fact it could easily still be snowing!), but in case you were up earlier, the Inverness Whisky festival is on in April.

My favourite tours have been the manager's tour at Benriach (mid-week only, booking essential), Executive tour at Strathisla and a night tour at Tomatin.

Happy hunting! Hope you have a great time.
Olorin
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fantastic trip, I have done Dalwhinnie and Talisker, which I enjoyed! If you do head to the Isle of Skye be sure to check out the Sligachan Hotel, there's a fantastic bar with 200-300 whiskies on offer Very Happy
BubbaLikesIt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webdunk wrote:
Talisker is a lovely dram and the distillery is in a wonderful location. The Distillery / tour however left me a little cold - too corporate/Diageo-esque.

You sound like you have a load of time so I reckon the best bet will be to set up one or two particular distillery visits and then wing the rest. One of the great joys of wandering about Speyside is accidentally tripping over familiar names as you explore.

From my perspective, much as we love the diversity of the drams they produce, actual distillery tours are very same-y. They all do the same thing so that's not so much a criticism as a reality.

There are some wonderful whisky shops in the area which are well worth a visit for unearthing hidden gems or unusual bottlings. Often tastings are easily available and staff well capable of directing you to drams you are likely to enjoy.

Not quite summer (in fact it could easily still be snowing!), but in case you were up earlier, the Inverness Whisky festival is on in April.

My favourite tours have been the manager's tour at Benriach (mid-week only, booking essential), Executive tour at Strathisla and a night tour at Tomatin.

Happy hunting! Hope you have a great time.

We would like to take a few tours of the distilleries. Seeking out vendors and pubs with whisky we've never experienced is my goal. Meeting people and seeing the sights is all we want. Maybe get some fishing in if possible.
BubbaLikesIt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olorin wrote:
Sounds like a fantastic trip, I have done Dalwhinnie and Talisker, which I enjoyed! If you do head to the Isle of Skye be sure to check out the Sligachan Hotel, there's a fantastic bar with 200-300 whiskies on offer Very Happy

200 to 300? I may never leave. Do they have fine cigars? Is this heaven?
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BubbaLikesIt wrote:
We would like to take a few tours of the distilleries. Seeking out vendors and pubs with whisky we've never experienced is my goal. Meeting people and seeing the sights is all we want. Maybe get some fishing in if possible.

For vendors have a look at the Whisky Castle in Tomintoul, Gordon & Macphail in Elgin, the Duffton whisky shop, the Green Welly Stop at Crianlarich and the whisky shop at Logie Steading. Duffton and Green Welly in particular can offer good value.

For pubs, the Malt Rooms in Inverness and Highlander Inn in Craigellachie are two I enjoy. The Drouthy Cobbler in Elgin was building up a decent selection last I was there. There are of course loads of others and sometimes the smaller places with smaller ranges can have hidden gems whether that is a bargain price or a rare bottle.
BubbaLikesIt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webdunk wrote:
BubbaLikesIt wrote:

For vendors have a look at the Whisky Castle in Tomintoul, Gordon & Macphail in Elgin, the Duffton whisky shop, the Green Welly Stop at Crianlarich and the whisky shop at Logie Steading. Duffton and Green Welly in particular can offer good value.

For pubs, the Malt Rooms in Inverness and Highlander Inn in Craigellachie are two I enjoy. The Drouthy Cobbler in Elgin was building up a decent selection last I was there. There are of course loads of others and sometimes the smaller places with smaller ranges can have hidden gems whether that is a bargain price or a rare bottle.

I knew it was a good idea to join this forum. The information is priceless. My wife is writing everything down as I post. She has tried to make contact with the Speyside Quilters but hasn't received a reply. I'm getting a ton of information about whisky and she isn't getting anything about quilts. I feel bad for her. We'll keep trying.

Acksboy
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d also recommend visiting the Speyside Cooperage just outside of Dufftown; a real insight into the importance of casks and you get to see the coopers at work.
As someone has already said, the Highlander Inn in Craigellachie is a wonderful bar (at least for a whisky puritan like me!). Snug little bar in beautiful surroundings with hundreds of whiskies and the owner is as passionate a whisky enthusiast you’ll ever find.
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BubbaLikesIt wrote:
We'll keep trying.

I take it you have found https://www.facebook.com/Speyside-Quilters-1529608807279534/?
trout62

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do the Aberlour tour (or don't, for that matter), I highly recommend the Dowans hotel located maybe 100 yards from the distillery. As for their selection of scotches to try, check here:

https://www.dowanshotel.com/the-still/

Something like 500 to choose from.

Also, I can highly recommend the Oban distillery tour. Neat tour, lovely town. Stay at the Manor House Hotel.

Someone commented that the distilleries are basically always open for tours, but Clynelish was closed to tours last week (We will be in silent season from the 12th March until the 16th April with no access to the distillery meaning we will not be running any guided tours during this time) so be sure to verify before you go. The visitor center was open (all I was looking for) so I was able to snag one of the last few bottles of their current distillers edition. Also, was able to get a peek at the construction going on to reopen the Brora side.

Trout
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: