www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Help needed

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
F4RKY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Help needed Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am hoping you will be able to either help me or point me in the right direction in where to get some help.

Recently while diving on a Ship Wreck in the Clyde 'SS Wallachia' I have come across some bottles of whiskey, from some looking on the internet I believe this may be 'Robert Brown Specially Selected Very Old Scotch Whisky - Same as supplied to H.R.H. The Prince of Wales' thats as much information as I have managed to find out.

Does anyone know anything of this whiskey, ie where is was brewed etc. Or does anyone know where I could go to find any information on the bottle?

Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i am not familiar with the whisky myself but one of the other forum members may be able to to tell you a bit about it. You may get a better response if your post is moved to the main section of the forum which is the single malt whisky forum, perhaps William or John will move your post.

What condition is the bottles in, is the seals intact and what is the fill level. It would maybe help if you had any photos.
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Robert Brown is a blended whisky i have moved your post to the blended whisky forum.

Here is some info from the Old Glasgow Pubs web site:
Quote:
Robert Brown.

Wholesale Blender and Scotch Whisky Blender, 17 Hope Street, Glasgow.

Robert Brown was established in 1865 as a Blender and Scotch Whisky Merchant. His registered blend's of whisky were well known household names such as the 15 year old "Four Crown's." His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales even liked this blend of Scotch. Mr Brown had an export trade as well, shipping out large quantities to India, the Colonies and Spain.

Robert Brown was sole agent for of Henry Thompson & Co.'s "Old Irish Whiskey." for over twenty years. This was reputed to be one of the best whiskey labels of it's time and used by Queen Victoria, the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Connaught and was supplied to the Houses of Parliament.. Crooks tried very hard to reproduce this old blend of whiskey, the labeling was very good and was passed around many of the pubs in and around Scotland, however one would know right away by the fowl taste and smell of this copy fire water.

Mr Brown's headquarter's were at 17 Hope Street, Glasgow having branches at 2 Gresham Buildings, Guildhall, London and Central Chambers, 17a South Castle Street, Liverpool and 16 West Docks, Dundee.

There was also a blended Japanese whisky named Robert Brown but the whisky you have sounds like the whisky i quoted above. The Japanese Robert Brown was a venture between the at the time Canadian owned Seagram and Kirin. the whisky was made up of imported Scotch malt whisky and Japanese whisky.
Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From whisky fun website:
Quote:
The SS Wallachia, a huge steamship, sank in the Firth of Clyde in September 1895, after having been rammed in the bows by a Norwegian steamer. She had been quietly lying under 34 metres of water since then but sport divers rediscovered her and brought several bottles of this whisky back to the open air.
Many had been contaminated with seawater
A bottle sold at Scotch Whisky Auctions last year for £580

Whether your bottle has any value will depend on whether the whisky has been contaminated by the seawater or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: