www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Glenfarclas 12 year old

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Glenfarclas 12 year old

View previous topic :: View next topic  
albo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Glenfarclas 12 year old Reply with quote

I was coming back from a stag weekend in Amsterdam yesterday and picked up a bottle of the above for 33 euro (about £27) for a 1l bottle. I have enjoyed the other Glenfarclas age whiskies so I thought I'd give it a go.

Has anyone had it? What's it like?
Hopefully I haven't gone too wrong especially given the price.

Cheers

Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Glenfarclas 12 year old Reply with quote

albo wrote:

Has anyone had it? What's it like?
Hopefully I haven't gone too wrong especially given the price.

I haven't, I've only had the 10 and 15 from the Glenfarclas range, but given my impressions of them and how people value the distillery generally I'd say you can never go wrong with Glenfarclas. That's a fantastic price for 1l.
Grant M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few bottles of the Glenfarclas 12 and IMO it is excellent. Way smoother than the 10 year old and plenty of honey and vanilla and the usual quality Glenfarclas sherry influence. It really is a cracking dram in my opinion. I often pick up the 1 litre travel retail bottling when passing through an airport as it is great value for money. Sainsburys used to stock the Glenfarclas 12 a few years ago but unfortunately they dont now.
albo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thank you.

Pretty much all of the bottles were a great price and getting 1l rather than 700ml makes them better value, the Ardbeg 10 was 48 euro (about £40) for example.

I was thinking that if Ryanair or easyJet do those £1 tickets, I may try and pick one up for anywhere, just go through security flash the boarding card, pick up a couple of bottles and head home again.
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

albo wrote:

I was thinking that if Ryanair or easyJet do those £1 tickets, I may try and pick one up for anywhere, just go through security flash the boarding card, pick up a couple of bottles and head home again.

Not sure what the procedure would be - I'm sure they'd ask you questions since not flying would look suspicious. Not sure what the worst thing that could happen though - maybe make you pay the tax from which the bottles were exempt from in the first place?

Has anyone here done it?
bifter
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I've tried Glenfarclas 15, 21 and 25. The 21 was so so IMHO but I loved the others.

I'm confused though. I thought you could buy drinks in the airport shops but that any internal EU journeys did not entitle you to duty free (as it's a common market). I would have thought they'd check your boarding pass or similar, did they even ask your destination?

albo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they checked my boarding pass, it's no longer classed as duty free I think. It's just more reasonably priced.

As for the Ryanair/easyJet thing, they would never know I wasn't flying, I would have purchased my flight and have my boarding card which I could present when I picked up the whisky, I would just choose not to get on the plain and instead just leave the airport.
Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexppp wrote:
albo wrote:

Not sure what the procedure would be - I'm sure they'd ask you questions since not flying would look suspicious. Not sure what the worst thing that could happen though - maybe make you pay the tax from which the bottles were exempt from in the first place?

Has anyone here done it?
I have thought about this in the past but decided against it as i pictured myself being stopped by security trying to leave the airport.

You wouldnt get it tax free unless you leave europe but the travel retail prices are very good especially when it is 1 litre bottles.

Incidentally the Glenfarclas 12 is very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: