Whisky Focus - Kingsbarns Dream To Dram Review

Kingsbarns Dream To Dram Review


24th January 2019
Kingsbarns launch Dream to Dram, the first generally available single malt Scotch whisky from the Lowland distillery.

Kingsbarns Dream To Dram Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Almost four years on since the Kingsbarns distillery, located in the East Neuk of Fife near St Andrew's, filled its first casks in March 2015, it has today announced the launch of its first flagship single malt whisky expression that will be generally available, the Kingsbarns Dream To Dram.

Named to mark the Wemyss Family’s (owners of the distillery) vision to bring malt whisky distilling to their Fife home. Kingsbarns Dream To Dram is a Lowland single malt Scotch whisky, it truly is a local dram having been crafted using barley harvested exclusively from the golden fields of East Fife.

Kingsbarns Dream To Dram has been matured primarily in first fill American bourbon casks (90%), sourced exclusively from Heaven Hill in Kentucky by Isabella Wemyss, with the remaining 10% component of the Dream to Dram matured in shaved, toasted and re-charred wine casks. All Kingsbarns casks are matured in warehouses not far from the distillery in Fife.

In describing the new single malt Kingsbarns tell me that "the natural elements on Kingsbarns Distillery’s doorstep, combined with superior wood choice and long, slow fermentation give Dream to Dram its remarkably complex and distinctive Lowland character: light, intensely fruity, floral and balanced, with colour and richness coming from the wood. On the nose there is banana, pineapple syrup and summer berries, with a slight herbal note. There is soft toffee, custard pastry and redcurrants on the palate, with a finish of ginger syrup".

Dream to Dram is bottled in 70cl at 46% ABV and has a RRP of £44.95. It will soon be available from the Kingsbarns Distillery online shop and from specialist online whisky retailers such as The Whisky Exchange and Master of Malt
 

Kingsbarns Dream To Dram Review


Review added 12th February 2019. Bottled at 46% ABV the Dream to Dram is non chill-filtered and naturally coloured.

William Morrison's Tasting Notes:

Nose: A gentle enticingly fruity nose with pear, green apple and pineapple, a little sweet vanilla and distant caramel.

Taste: A subtle vanilla toffee sweetness balances well with gentle oak spice, the pear and pineapple from the nose are joined by a little dark berry fruitiness, develops a little floral edge.

Finish: Medium length, a little zesty orange and lemon emerges, vanilla, peppery, the oak spice comes more to the fore, slightly drying.

Comment: Yes it is young, which is apparent from nose to finish but it also has a maturity beyond its years, it is a cracking Lowland single malt already with some top quality first fill bourbon casks at play here, a very clever choice of cask for a young whisky. It is certainly worth a try and a very good sign of things to come from Kingsbarns, a distillery to look out for I think.

SMW Score 83/100
 

Where To Buy Whisky Online


Select a country for a list of specialist Whisky shops who delivers to you:

 

Whisky Focus



<<<Back to Whisky Focus for more Whisky News

Top Of Page

 
 Drink Safely   Add Your Site   Other Whisky Sites    Links   Contact Us 
 

© 2019 www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk All rights reserved.