Dailuaine Whisky Scotch Single Malt - A to Z of Whiskies

Dailuaine Single Malt Scotch Whisky


Region:
Established:
Water Source:
Owner:

Distillery Status:
Open To Visitors:
Phone Number:
Speyside
1852
The Bailliemullich Burn
United Distillers & Vintners
Operational
No
+44 (0)1340 810510
 
The Dailuaine distillery was founded in 1852 by William Mackenzie. When William died, the distillery was rented out until his son, Thomas was able to run the distillery in 1879. Thomas refurbished Dailuaine and made it one of the most important distilleries of the area. Thomas died in 1915, and as he had no family, the distillery was taken over by a group of Dailuaine's customers, amongst whom where James Buchanan, John Dewar and John Walker. So the distillery became part of UDV, after it absorbed D.C.L. who owned the Buchanan, Dewar and Walker groups. The distillery was almost destroyed by a fire in 1917, and the production did not resume until 1920. In 1950, the distillery was connected to the electricity network, and many refurbishments were carried out between 1959 and 1960. A Saladin box replaced the malt floorings which had been used up to 1983, when the distillery began buying its malt in from a malting.

Sadly only 2% of the Dailuaine malt whisky produced is actually sold as single malt, this is sold by UDV in the Fauna & Flora collection. The remaining 98% is reserved for blended whiskies such as Johnnie Walker.

Dailuaine is a quality Malt Whisky and it is such a shame to see so much of it disappear in Johnnie Walker and other blends. This distillery is rather unknown by the general public but the single malt it produces competes favourably with the malts of its more famous Speyside neighbour The Macallan distillery. It has the same sherry hints, but a very long finish. Absolute long lasting pleasure.

Unfortunately Dailuaine is not very easy to find. Your best chance of finding a bottle of Dailuaine malt is in a specialist whisky shop such as The Whisky Exchange.
 

Dailuaine Tasting Notes


Dailuaine 16 Year Old Flora & Fauna.
Colour: Amber.
Nose: Hints of sherry and some citrus touches.
Taste: Complex, somewhere between sherry, chocolate and malt with hints of oranges, also a little woody influence.
Finish: Malted notes. A long and pleasant finish.

Similar Tasting Whisky Suggestions
 

Where To Buy Dailuaine Whisky Online


Select a country for a list Whisky shops near you:

Dailuaine Bottlings


Dailuaine offer you the following choice of single malts:
  • Dailuaine 16 Year Old Flora & Fauna Series.
  • 1974 27 Year Old Dark Sherry Cask.

Dailuaine Reviews


Have you tried Dailuaine? Why not add your own review and tasting notes to this page. ADD YOUR OWN REVIEW
 

Whisky Guide:


<<<Back to the A to Z Of Single Malt Whisky

Top Of Page

 
 Drink Safely   Add Your Site   Other Whisky Sites    Links   Contact Us 
 

2017 www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk All rights reserved.