www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - The ever changing tastes of a whisky fan

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The ever changing tastes of a whisky fan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan Disorderly
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: The ever changing tastes of a whisky fan Reply with quote

I wonder if there’s a common path that we follow as whisky drinkers. As you’d expect, my tastes have developed over the years (I’ve probably only been enjoying whisky for about 15 years or so - now aged 42). At first, any kind of inexpensive (usually blended) whisky would do, with or without ice, depending on my mood. I’d have been happy with scotch or bourbon possibly with a preference to bourbon in the early years. Whilst I still enjoy a bourbon on the rocks on a hot day, I’ve found myself exploring the vast selection of single malts out there. It’s a bit like being some kind of nerdy collector, I want to try them all, but sadly I’m not a millionaire, so pricing is still a factor. I’ve been through periods where the peated Islay whiskies were my faves (Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg 10 were up there), but in recent years I moved towards the sherried powerhouses like Aberlour A’bunadh. In the last few months I now find myself searching for the buttery smooth whiskies. Whilst I still enjoy all styles of whisky, I’d like to hear from fellow whisky fans (most of whom on this forum have much more experience than me) about your changing tastes and personal favourites.

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it if your tastes except, Islay and sherried the highland and speyside and also bourbon then your on the best track, your enjoyment is the best it can be ,, some people just hate islay and they never go back and that’s a great loss, enjoy every whisky,, I know I do .
Duncan Disorderly
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
The way I see it if your tastes except, Islay and sherried the highland and speyside and also bourbon then your on the best track, your enjoyment is the best it can be ,, some people just hate islay and they never go back and that’s a great loss, enjoy every whisky,, I know I do .

Thanks Ralfy. Any favourites that I should know about?
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow the road is long , peoples tastes differ so much , keeping it at a sensible price and not going silly I enjoy deanston 12,, amrut fusion, the bruichladdich classic and port Charlotte, on the bourbon front I enjoyed the bob Dylan heavens door,, at a pricier point I did enjoy highland park 18 and Glenlivet 18,, like I said the road is long and plenty of people have there own favs , enjoy the ride 👍
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan, I would say the progression I have made over many years enjoying single malts includes the desire now for higher ABV whiskies, non-chillfiltered and with no color added. I also have enjoyed searching for and obtaining independent bottlings representing a variety of distilleries in Scotland. It is worth looking at outfits like Berry Brothers & Rudd, Cadenheads, Gordon & MacPhail and Signatory to name some of the independent bottlers I have found to often put out some impressive single malts.

I do also enjoy bourbons, mostly wheated ones and a vast array of Canadian whiskies (single malts, blends ryes, etc.) which are available to me here in Canada across the pond.

Whisky is a personal journey and one's tastes do change with experience. I tend not to focus on one region of Scotland for single malts but have "learned" to enjoy all of them. Not all single malts are good or even drinkable so one has to be discerning and be willing to be selective in purchases, also check reviews before buying as one piece of the puzzle. Some single malts may have good spirit but if the wood is substandard or sour, the end product is not worth the money paid out for it. Having said that, there are a vast amount of excellent whiskies out there for the careful customer. Cheers.
Duncan Disorderly
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the in depth replies Ralfy and Quaich, it’s great to have tips from some very knowledgeable whisky fans like yourselves. Most of my mates are yet to discover the beauty of the whisky world, so this forum is a good way for me to find out more. Whilst I said I like all styles of whisky, one type that slipped my mind is the salty/briny types which really don’t float my boat. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll drink the stuff, but wouldn’t chose a Bunna/Talisker type over a classic Speyside. I’ve yet to try Highland Park or Old Pulteney which many folk rave about, but would they fall more into this group?

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old pulteney from what Ive heard from folk isn’t most liked , highland park 18 is gorgeous but a tad expensive, you will find many wow whiskies on your travels 👍
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: