www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - The other"spirit" tastes of single malt folk

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The other"spirit" tastes of single malt folk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: The other"spirit" tastes of single malt folk Reply with quote

These days it appears that many single malt whisky aficionados and consumers have expanded their spirit experiences to other types of whiskies and alcohol in general. There seems to be more of a willingness to try other spirits, compare them to each other and to expand nose and palate, never relinquishing their loyalty or fascination with single malts but earnestly exploring other spirits as well.

I have found particularly in recent years that I have been more willing and actually interested in a variety of other spirits in a more indepth analytical way including the kaleidoscopic array of Canadian whiskies (available more to me as I live in Canada), bourbons as well as quality whiskies from from a hodge podge of countries. Some folk seem to have rediscovered gin, mescal, rum, all of which have burgeoning industries. Not to say that people did not consume or enjoy these other spirits before but there seems to be more of a natural progression today to do so. Love to hear your thoughts on all of this. Cheers.

Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always enjoyed exploring the other whiskies of the world, Irish, Japanese, American and probably to a lesser extent Canadian which is probably due to the fact that we dont have the variety available this side of the water that you have in Canada and America.

I have enjoyed a few rums and a brandy or two but they would never be my spirit of choice. Gin or vodka just doesnt do it for me. Away from whisky I am more likely to choose a beer or wine.
Archer
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never felt the need to explore other spirits as there are so many whiskies to explore even within my budget. I do occasionally pair a whisky with a beer.
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last few years I have been enjoying mezcal and tequila. Mezcal in particular, the range of them available is incredible, all the different flavours, proofs and producers. The process involved in making it is incredible too.
Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have enjoyed a few rums but 99.9% of the time my spirit is whisky.
Grant M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely drink any spirit other than whisky, mainly Scotch and Irish.

jcarrick
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a bottle of Quiquiriqui Mezcal and a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Rum, both were very good.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcarrick wrote:
I recently had a bottle of Quiquiriqui Mezcal and a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Rum, both were very good.

That sounds very interesting J. I've never tasted mescal but I watched a program the other day on TV that showed the whole distilling process in Mexico. Apparently, there are as many taste variations in mescal as there are in Scottish whisky.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archer wrote:
I have never felt the need to explore other spirits as there are so many whiskies to explore even within my budget. I do occasionally pair a whisky with a beer.

I have noticed Archer at my single malt club here in Canada that many people have beer or guiness before the dinner and whisky tasting. Some have quite a few beers. I personally don't like mixing the two in succession as it seems to spoil my palate in my case.
jcarrick
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quaich1 wrote:
jcarrick wrote:

That sounds very interesting J. I've never tasted mescal but I watched a program the other day on TV that showed the whole distilling process in Mexico. Apparently, there are as many taste variations in mescal as there are in Scottish whisky.
The Quiquiriqui Mezcal has carmel, fruity, floral flavours and a wee bit of smokiness, it was interesting but Scotch and other whiskies will remain my main tipple, still interesting and enjoyable to try something different.
Nimo
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quaich1 wrote:
Archer wrote:

I have noticed Archer at my single malt club here in Canada that many people have beer or guiness before the dinner and whisky tasting. Some have quite a few beers. I personally don't like mixing the two in succession as it seems to spoil my palate in my case.
I do enjoy a cold Guinness along with a heavily sherried whisky on a warm day.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimo wrote:
Quaich1 wrote:
Archer wrote:

I do enjoy a cold Guinness along with a heavily sherried whisky on a warm day.

Actually Nimo, I sometimes crave a Guiness on its own. I've had Guiness on tap here in Canada, England and Scotland. To me it's like a sophisticated prune juice with a punch. Wink

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As good as whisky is , it’s a shame not to try a new spirit ,, just in case it’s great I say ,
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
As good as whisky is , it’s a shame not to try a new spirit ,, just in case it’s great I say ,

That's a good point Ralfy. Cheers.
drPete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do enjoy Armagnac, and find it very good value for long aged liquid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: