www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Grand Old Parr 12 year 43% +/-1980

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Grand Old Parr 12 year 43% +/-1980

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Grand Old Parr 12 year 43% +/-1980 Reply with quote

This is the first of a 40 strong blend H2H of old vintages/old in years/premium classed blends

Nose

The nose is very expressive, it smells like a rich blend, very syrupy but on the other hand smells too rich, too manufactured, almost fake and man made, additives/caramel perhaps.
The nose has honey, treacle tart, mixed fruit jam but the main thing is mango and honey with more treacle, it is almost too syrupy.
Not bad, but does not smell like most whisky, even older blends and I have had a few of those.
After 30 minutes in the glass some smoke appears which is really welcome and adds another layer of interest and it does not stop there more stewed fruits, papaya, a hint of peach so now it is a fruit salad, what next I wonder?

Taste

It is not as syrupy or sweet as the nose suggested which is a good thing as the nose smelled really sweet.
It is syrupy mind, in the glass there are fat legs and sticky tears that hardly move.
It grows in sweetness and once your mouth gets used to it, it is pretty good.
Actually it is better than that, the honey, syrup, candied sweetness is very good, I cannot detect very much peat but I have a suspicion it is in there but the honey, treacle sweetness has smothered it.
There is also a rich creamy side to this mixed with sweet pastries.

Finish

Decent length, not as sweet as before with a little bite to it but also a faint metallic edge coming in

This has been open for a few years only had a few drams out of it.
This is not a whisky it is a sweet honey desert.
I really do not know how to score this, on the one hand it is very nice, no rough edges, sweet and what a good blend but should be , everything in balance, not rough but on the hand not like 99% of whisky out there and not many blends are as thick, sweet and syrupy as this one. I prefer sweet whisky now in my life, in final summary I really like this but if you like your palate smashed my massive sweet or swamped with sherry this will not be for you.
If you like sweet whiskies well pull up an ice cream wafer and dip in. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: