www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Caperdonich 1990's vintages x 6

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Caperdonich 1990's vintages x 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Caperdonich 1990's vintages x 6 Reply with quote

[These are the marks for 6 x 1990's Caperdonich H2H.
Being completely honest the first 4 in this flight were far from great, only the Mos and the Distillery Reserve hit the good category.
By the 1990's it looks like most of the Caperdonich cask were bourbon and 3rd and 4th fill, I would have expected 2nd fill to be better than this.
In truth I would stay away from 1990's Caperdonich unless you know that a certain cask is ok.
I suspected that the first 4 would struggle as the liquid was so light in colour.

Here are the marks:-

Caperdonich 1992 21 year 46% Acorn Friends of Oak Paeonia suffruticosa
83/84/93
Caperdonich 1992 20 year 53.4% cask 121112 Jack Weibers
82/83/84
Caperdonich 1994 18 year 53.8% Whisky Box
75/82/83
Caperdonich 1994 20 year 54.7% The Whisky Cask
82/80/820
Caperdonich 1996 17 year 58.6% cask 13025 Malts of Scotland
85/86/87
Caperdonich 1994 23 year 55.9% cask 60 Distillery Reserve Collection OB
688/90/890

Tasting Notes

Caperdonich 1992 20 year 53.4% cask 121112 Old Train Line Jack Weibers
82/83/84

Nose
Green apple, cream but also a hint of smoked bacon which is a little odd?
Not a very expressive nose to be honest.
Palate
Lots of powerful spice the faintest hint of peat, a few sweet notes and the a little slightly sour green gooseberry note.
Finish
Still on the slightly sour side and a little rough, but it goes down nicely and the warm sensation lasts for a quite a time which evens things up for me.

With a little water:-
Pleasant enough with more spice and more green fruit, again with a long finish.

Not bad but not interesting profile wise.

For me the balance is not quite there

Caperdonich 1994 18 year 53.8% Whisky Box (34598)
75/82/83

Nose
Not very expressive at first, maybe green apple but I get very little else so not a good start.
The palate is spicy on white pepper with the tell tale green apple note and as the nose suggested, it is quite light.
It odes develop with air and some peat comes in but it is all a little disjointed.
Finish
Ok but but not much interest for me.

With a little water:-
More apple, more spice and the peat element has grown, but by this time I was getting a little bored.

Caperdonich 1994 20 year 54.7% The Whisky Cask (54419)
82/80/82

I finished this bottle 4 years ago but saved a sample and realised I had never completed a full tasting note so here it is.
Nose
Green apple, gooseberry,, apple juice and a biscuit note with a faint hint of nutmeg.
Palate
There is some peat and spice at first and not much else.
It is devoid of flavours, I am tempted to say insipid at first.
The pepper, peat and green apple combo is fine but that is as good as it gets, a simple profile, too simple for me, competent but dull for me.
Finish
More green apple and more spice arrive, ok but a little dull

With water
More balanced than neat and the nose has improved for sure.
Unfortunately it is boring as hell, so competent (like others in this flight) but lacking in enjoyment.

Caperdonich 1996 17 year 58.6% cask 13025 Malts of Scotland (42874)
85/86/87

Unfortunately I made a full tasting note with and without water but x'd out and lost my notes.
All I can say is that this is a decent peated Caper with reasonable balance between the bourbon, peat and plum/fig/date notes, not the most exciting but competent.

Caperdonich 1994 23 year 55.9% cask 60 Distillery Reserve Collection OB (98623)
88/90/89

I finished this bottle 4 years ago but never did a full tasting note so here goes.

Nose
Nice attack with peat and bourbon mixing well, plenty of spice, smoked ham and rich dark fruit jam so a good start.
Peat and spice combine tightly on the palate with a stewed dark fruit note but also a meaty edge to the peat which elevates the profile.
Perhaps just a hint of sulphur but if that is what I am tasting it is in acceptable levels, so no issue.
The finish is long with the emphasis on peat rather than pepper.
Vey good.

With water:-
A little more restrained now, the nose is pleasant and the palate has a little more fruit with peat element being at the forefront pushing the spice into the background.
This profile really works and the finish is long and warming.
You would never guess this was a Caperdonich and even though I am not a peat head it is the peat , in just the quite quantity that really elevates this one.
Very good
[/u]

RN Rob
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email from TWE about a cask strength Signatory Caperdonich 2000 21 year old which is exclusive to them which may be of interest to you if you are a Caperdonich fan https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/63462/caperdonich-2000-21-year-old-exclusive-to-the-whisky-exchange it has a £299 price tag but I am sure the ones you tasted above cost a few pound.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RN Rob wrote:
I got an email from <a>TWE</a> about a cask strength Signatory Caperdonich 2000 21 year old which is exclusive to them which may be of interest to you if you are a Caperdonich fan https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/63462/caperdonich-2000-21-year-old-exclusive-to-the-whisky-exchange it has a £299 price tag but I am sure the ones you tasted above cost a few pound.

I purchased the distillery reserve bottle as it was a little different and peated but 1990's bourbon casks, as these were are not as good as the 70's offerings particularly 1st and 2nd fill sherry.
I think there was one other bottle I got the rest were sample purchases.
Mind you can say that about most distilleries I suppose?

I appreciate the heads up Rob, thanks you very much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: