www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Ardgowan - Clydebuilt range

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ardgowan - Clydebuilt range

View previous topic :: View next topic  
official_grant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Ardgowan - Clydebuilt range Reply with quote

This is an interesting one.

Ardgowan is an estate in the West Coast (past Greenock) and has announced plans for a new distillery down there (around Inverkip area I believe).

As I understand it they haven't broken ground on the distillery, but have launched a limited range of whisky.

I got a bottle of the Clydebuilt Coppersmith over a year ago. This is a blend, I believe of 4 (speyside and highland) malts. It was rich and smooth with a good bit of sweetness and spice. Certainly a quality dram. They are leaning heavily on the talent of their master blender, Max McFarlane, who is creating these blends for them before their distiller is operating.

Very drinkable and easily on a par with many single malts around the £40 mark (which this was priced at when I got it).

They also have the Clydebuilt Shipwright available. This is priced at £50 and bottled at 48%. Once again is a blend of Speyside and Highland malts. However is described as being wholly matured in 1st fill Oloroso Casks. NAS, but could be a potential bargain if you like your Sherry matured whiskies.

I know many would not select a blended whisky and there is obviously no shortage of single malts to choose from. However given my experience of the Coppersmith, I will be picking up a bottle or two of the Shipwright.

Interested if anyone has tried this.

I have no connection with the distillery, except being originally from Greenock so have been keeping an eye on developments.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: