www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Quaich1-Murray's interesting whisky experiment bears fruit

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Quaich1-Murray's interesting whisky experiment bears fruit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Quaich1-Murray's interesting whisky experiment bears fruit Reply with quote

As many of you have likely experienced, sometimes an open bottle of whisky gets forgotten somewhere in the stash and lives on quietly in the dark waiting to be found. Well, this happened with my bottle of Old Masters "G" Lombard blended scotch whisky at 40% ABV which had been languishing in a cupboard 3/4 full for 8 years. Needless to say, it had lost its zip and mojo.

So my dilemma, do you toss it or do you try to give it a proverbial rebirth. I opted for the latter. I don't think I have ever poured a whisky down the drain as it just doesn't seem right.The original blend actually was quite decent 8 years ago when I first tried it in spite of its 40% ABV.

Here's what I did recently. I added about 2 ounces of Nikka Taketsura Pure Malt and about an ounce of Caol Ila 8 Year at 61.5% ABV to the Old Master bottle. The results were literally amazing. The nose clearly became phenomental and taste yieded both enhanced complexity and bolder flavors. The finish showed an excellent balance with the nose and the final conclusion is that even after being open for 8 years (noting it was 3/4 full), these few whisky additions brought it back and actually improved it in my opinion over the original product.

I would be pleased to hear your comments and feedback.

Cheers,
Murray

Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a few bottles in the back of the cupboard over the years which i had forgot about, although my bottles lay for no more than 4 years and had lost some of their flavour profile but in no way bad to drink, i didn’t try blending them with something else to reinvigorate them but i will keep it in mind for the future.
Torrie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently found a half drunk bottle of Teachers in the cupboard, i think it was there for around 6 years and i added some Laphroaig Quarter Cask to it, around a quarter of a bottle which worked quite well
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it quite regular, some with great results and some not so good, you know straight away it hasn’t worked as everything just flattens out,
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torrie wrote:
I recently found a half drunk bottle of Teachers in the cupboard, i think it was there for around 6 years and i added some Laphroaig Quarter Cask to it, around a quarter of a bottle which worked quite well
I used enjoy the occasional Teachers blend in years gone by, I never see it in supermarkets these days, i guess the UK isnt the marketplace for it these days.

Murray i have been guiltly of fogetting about thhe odd whisky or two in the back of the cupboard, good to know i am not the only only who has blended them with something else rather than pour them down the sink.
DanO
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have come across a forgotten bottle in the past and if it had lost some of its flavour profile I would have used it in a long drink like an Irish coffee or for a hot toddy.

whisky_rob
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Murray,

Long time since I’ve said hello, hope you’re doing well?

Although on a small scale, I think your experiment proves how easy it is to hide some plain/underwhelming casks in a vat/blend. It’s amazing the difference one or two decent, more active casks can make to the flavour profile when vatting amongst some tired 3rd or 4th fills.

Cheers,

Rob
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whisky_rob wrote:
Hey Murray,

Long time since I’ve said hello, hope you’re doing well?

Although on a small scale, I think your experiment proves how easy it is to hide some plain/underwhelming casks in a vat/blend. It’s amazing the difference one or two decent, more active casks can make to the flavour profile when vatting amongst some tired 3rd or 4th fills.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob. I'm doing fine thanks. Great comment! Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: