www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Looking For Recommendations (Beginner Peat)

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Looking For Recommendations (Beginner Peat)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
realdealblues

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Looking For Recommendations (Beginner Peat) Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Fairly new here and new to scotch as well. Been trying them for about a year. Tried a few new ones over the weekend and so far I've had 10 different scotches:

Monkey Shoulder
Glenmorangie "Nectar D'Or"
Glenmorangie "The Quinta Ruban"
Glenfiddich 15
Naked Grouse
Bruichladdich "The Classic Laddie"
Bunnahabhain 12
Balvenie "Caribbean Cask"
Glendronach 12
Deanston 12

So, what's really missing? A peated whisky of course. Everyone I know hates peated whisky but I feel like I should at least try one as the only description I hear is smoky.

I'm in the USA and my selection is somewhat limited (my local shop carries about 200 different scotches (blended and single malts). I didn't want to spend a ton incase I hate it but I would maybe like something to at least give me a good idea of what it's like.

Out of the ones I've had, so far honestly my favorite was the Glenfiddich 15. To me it was the smoothest and easiest to drink. I doubt there is something out there that would be equivalent to "a peated Glenfiddich 15" but maybe that's of some help in maybe throwing out some suggestions.

I was considering trying the "Laphroaig Select" as it's only $49 and has some good reviews and seemed like it wasn't maybe "super strong" but would still maybe give me a good idea of what peat was all about.

Anyway, I was just curious if maybe some of you folks with far more experience might give me a few options. Seems like everyone always says Ardbeg for peat but I hear it's also fairly strong which might be a turn off for me at this early stage as well.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Whisky Rogue
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get hold of Highland Park 12 year old, a good all round whisky and there is a wee bit of peat in it, it is a a good intro to peated whisky. Another option with a wee touch of smoke is Dalwhinie 15.

Of course if you want to dive in to a big peaty whisky then Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Kilchoman all have some outstanding whisky ranges.

If you fancy trying a sherried whisky then look our for Glendronach, Glenfarclas, Aberlour, Macallan.
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talisker Skye is about teh same price as Laph Select and is less peaty, but still peaty enough to let you know what a properly peaty whisky is all about. That was my intrduction to peat and I never looked back. Alternatively there's Bowmore 12 which is a better whisky all round that both Skye and Lap Select.
realdealblues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

Highland Park 12 and Bowmore 12 are both available around $60 at my local shop. They don't have Talisker Skye, only Storm, Distillers Edition and 10. They do have Dalwhinnie 15 as well but it's quite a bit more expensive at around $100 a bottle. I know Highland Park is fairly popular, but I haven't heard much about Bowmore so maybe I'll look closely at those two.
Crossroads
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would seek out Laphroaig 10 if you can find it, this is peaty but is much easier drinking these days, there is a sweetness and a slight Sherry background. Bowmore is much more subtle and has a slight saltiness to it’s aroma. Bowmore 12 is wonderfully balanced and is one of my favourite single malts, highly recommended.

One of the first single malts I tried as a newcomer was Lagavulin 16, these days it is more smokey than peaty, but it is still rich and intense but wonderfully smooth. I tried it at the end of a tasting session in a whisky bar in a hotel in Perthshire and the experience was almost religious . Always expensive, but so worth it.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your whisky journey.
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunnahahabhain moine is great value and will not disappoint,

Crossroads
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
Bunnahahabhain moine is great value and will not disappoint,

I will give it a try after pension day😉
Forbes
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

realdealblues I would suggest exploring the Island region whiskies from Highland Park, Jura and Talisker before braving the big peaty whiskies of Islay. Highland Park 12, Jura 12 and Talisker 10 are great drams for your money.

Away from the Islands i would suggest having a look at Benriach for a touch of peat.

Enjoy your whisky journey, it is never ending Very Happy
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

realdealblues wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Highland Park 12 and Bowmore 12 are both available around $60 at my local shop. They don't have Talisker Skye, only Storm, Distillers Edition and 10. They do have Dalwhinnie 15 as well but it's quite a bit more expensive at around $100 a bottle. I know Highland Park is fairly popular, but I haven't heard much about Bowmore so maybe I'll look closely at those two.
Talisker 10 would be a decent shout as well, but really Bowmore 12 may suit your purposes, it's a nice fruity whisky (pineapple notes for me) and has a good amount of peat (significantly more than Highland Park) whilst not being the full on knock-your-socks-off impact of a Laphroaig/Ardbeg/Lagavulin, so you'll still have higher levels to go to.

Is Caol Ila 12 available for you? Starting off with Bowmore 12 then moving to Caol Ila 12, then Ardbeg 10/Lagavulin16/Laph 10 is a pretty good route imo.
realdealblues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the continued suggestions guys.

Sounding like the Bowmore 12 might be a good introduction.

Caol Ila 12 year is available to me, it's around $80 but if I enjoy the peat I might go that route before the full Ardbeg/Lagavulin/Laphroaig route.

The only Jura I have seen is Jura 10 year and Jura Seven Wood.

Benriach 10 & 12 are also available.

Bunnahabhain Moine I haven't seen anywhere around me.

And yes the whisky journey does appear to be never ending...other than running out of money haha.
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, you don't like Bowmore there will probably be another peaty whisky you will like, and often it follows no established logic. A friend of mine couldn't get into peated whisky at all, tried everything from Talisker to Ardbeg and while he could tolerate Talisker, didn't enjoy it THAT much so that seemed to be his peat barrier in terms of how much he could handle, stronger whiskies like Laph, Laga, and Ardbeg he couldn't tolerate at all. The one that finally broke him was Caol Ila 12, which is peatier than Talisker! He's now settling into peatier whiskies than the Caol.

I've seen people at festivals who can't stand peat be blown away by Ardbeg, which is defcon 1, just completely defying the logic that if you can't tolerate a little, you should stay away from a lot.
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that’s been one of the best moments in whisky I’ve had, at first I bought say 6 to 12 bottles of Spey, highland and peaty whiskies, enjoyed most until I first tried highland park 12, I really struggled so after a couple of doubles I decided to leave it in cuboard, I forgot it was there so on remembering say 9 months I tried and found easier to drink then slowly went on to bowmore select then the 12 then onto lap 10 and ardbeg 10 with no problems,, never say never I’d say 😋

Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Benriach The Smoky Twelve which i am drinking tonight, it may be a good place to start if you dont fancy any of the Islay peaty monsters.
realdealblues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to give an update as I finally got around to buying a bottle of Bowmore 12 and giving that a try.

So the first thing I noticed was the smell. I've heard the terms medicinal or iodine and once I heard band-aid. To me a latex band-aid was exactly what it smelled like to me, although with the slightest hint of toffee. The taste for me had what I imagine a band-aid would taste like if it was set in whisky for a few years.

It took me a few minutes to get past that smell/flavor but it was honestly a pretty easy sipper, but that smell will take a bit of getting use to. I'm thinking maybe the easy sipping was partly due to being 40abv which is ok to me as I'm kind of starting out.

I read some people saying there are ones that don't have any of that kind of "band-aid" flavor/smell and are more of just a straight "smoke" smell/flavor.

I didn't taste any smoke in the Bowmore 12 that I generally hear about "peated".

Anyone have any recommendations on something more on the smoke side without the band-aid for my next purchase? I think I read somewhere that Lagavulin didn't have that kind of "medicinal" flavor but it's also $100 a bottle around here. Any other suggestions for something with a little smokey flavor but still a pretty easy sipper like the Bowmore 12 was?
Lennox
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get hold of Caol Ila 12 year old
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: