www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - 1970`s aged peat, Islay v Islands v Campbeltown v Highlands

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
1970`s aged peat, Islay v Islands v Campbeltown v Highlands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: 1970`s aged peat, Islay v Islands v Campbeltown v Highlands Reply with quote

THE CONTENDERS

Ardbeg 1976 25 year cask 2395 54.5% OB
Port Ellen 1978 25 year 4th Annual Release 56.2% OB
Ledaig 1972 32 year cask 8721 48.9% Alambic Classique
Talisker 25 year 2004 57.8% OB
Ledaig 1972 22 year 54% Cadenhead Authentic Collection
Ardmore 18 year 1994 51.4% James Macarthur
Longrow 1973 16 year 48% Samaroli
Brora 30 year 2003 Annual Release 55.7% OB
Glen Garioch 1975 57% CoillteanSamaroli Flowers
Glen Garioch 1967 36 year 55.5% Douglas Laing Platinum (Bonus dram, late addition)
Port Ellen 12 year 62.7% James Macarthur Fine Malt Selection

This was a very enjoyable H2H of some of the best peated whisky there is, the initial plan was to do a top 10 of aged 1970`s vintage heavily peated whisky but it ended up being 11 as this was the only opportunity to test the 1975 Samaroli Geerie against the 1967 Douglas Laing Geerie.
These 2 whiskies from this old Highland distillery I know from previous tastings are pretty incredible to be honest.
The plan was to pit heavily peated offerings distilled in the 1970’s against each other so Islay v Islands v Campbeltown v Highlands.
Doing these H2H are important in my view as some of these whiskies do get massive scores in isolation but it is only when they are in direct competition that you find just how good they really are.
You know something pretty special or certainly different (depending on how you look at it) has happened when an official annual release of Port Ellen has come last and even then it had a very respectable score?
I picked these whiskies because in the main I knew they were very good but also representative of their geographical areas. I almost included the heavily sherried Talisker 1981 20 year 62% but discounted it because of the heavy sherry and it was from 1981 but allowed the 1972 Ledaig Alambic Classique which is also heavily sherried, that was a mistake not to include that particular whisky from the Talisker distillery.
Another whisky that would have been excellent here, while not being 1970’s distillate was the Clynelish 17 year Manager’s Dram 61.8% OB, that was pretty peating and an excellent whisky, but alas I must have drunk my last saved sample
I also originally did not have an Ardmore of sufficient quality, but managed to find a James Macarthur sample that was really good and slotted in well here. I struggled with Ardmore as being completely honest the distillate they produce does not have the depth of flavours as the other distilleries here, it is like a muted peat profile usually, with nothing outstanding but the JM more than held it’s own and really surprised me.
The final whisky missing that would have been nice to have here is the 1974 31 year 49.7% LMDW, Laphroaig, that particular bottle I suspect would have given the top 3 here some stiff competition

The result confirmed what I already suspected that the Geerie can top any Ardbeg or any other Islay whisky and so can a Brora and probably the best Lediag also.

There is the caveat that you need to bear in mind that drinking this much cask strength heavy peat does affect your palate, regardless of how much water you have between drams.
By the 7th Dram i started to feel it a little but then got a 2nd wind and managed to finish, it was pointless saving a few for the next day, you cannot pick up where you left off.

There were no average drams here, they were all good quality but noticeable differences in flavour and depth of profile.

Apologies, some tasting notes are not in depth because I have tasted them before, and completed notes previously.

RESULT

Glen Garioch 1967 36 year 55.5% Douglas Laing Platinum (Bonus dram)
96/97/95

96/96/96

94/95/95

94/95/95

Longrow 1973 16 year 48% Samaroli 9
91/94/94

92/94/93

92/93/93

92/93/93

93/92/92

92/92/92

87/90/89

[TASTING NOTES

Ardbeg 1976 OB 93/92/92
The nose smells like a coastal peat, rich sherry, rich fruit cake, ginger, stewed blackcurrant and damson in the background then spent matches and smoke.
A few drops of water release wisps of cigar smoke
The palate has more bitterness than I remember, it is almost meaty like some old sherried Mortlachs have.
it gets a little sweeter as you go on, with some pepper and spice and some unripe plum is mixed with a little ginger and water brings out faint orange.
Good balance here, with peat,sherry spice in harmony, a long finish that fizzes on your tongue

Port Ellen 4th Annual Release 87/90/89
The nose is surprisingly distant at first, there is lemon, a little white pepper and some peat but no smoke?
Bang there it is, your tongue gets lassoed by a peat rope, and it shows its power.
There is some cream on show mixing with the peat and lemon and the pepper note just keeps ramping up.
With water:-
The nose is still not giving that much away, just peat, pepper and a little white fruit, pear & lemon.
Very creamy now the palate with the peat checked a little by the fruit and the balance is pretty good.
As an official PE this is pretty good but lacks a bit of magic compared to some of the other releases, the nose lets it down a little.

Ledaig 1972 Alambic Classique 92/93/93
Nice nose, rich sherry, dark fruits, and of course peat but it is slightly in the background.
This actually reminds me of whisky fudge.
As you nose this, faint sweet smoke appears and being honest it reminds me of old aged Talisker so it will be interesting trying them later in this H2H.
Back to this whisky and some dark breakfast marmalade appears after a few minutes, this has an elegant and interesting nose.
The initial mouthfeel is good but some oak is showing which dents the sweetness of the sherry, the peat appears and mingles with the spices on show, great balance and full of flavour.
The finish neat, is not the longest but it is so elegant so there are absolutely no problems here.
If you add a few drops of water it gets a little sweeter with a little raspberry note appearing , and the peat is a little more invasive which compliments everything so well.
The finish is actually a little longer, lovely.
This is a real quality dram.

Talisker 25 year 92/93/93
The trademark pepper and peat Talisker combo is here on the nose and I swear there is a white wine note in the mix somewhere?
The peat and pepper are obviously there but it is really nice, not overpowering in any way.
The peat is really nice, some lemon possibly some unripe pear and the finish is top notch.
Water is not really needed, the lemon and cream note on the finish is like whisky poetry, really nice stuff.

Ledaig 1972 Cadenhead 92/94/93

Re taste
This has powerful peat but the fruit is so elegant, hint of apple, plum, lemon & grapefruit mix with the peat and cream with a dash of pepper,what is so good here is the balance.
with a little water this is just lovely, it is really juicy and the fruit increases in line with the peat, nothing out of sync, great stuff.

Ardmore 18 year 1994 92/91/92
Initially on the nose you notice plenty of juicy white fruits with the peat in the background, this is a good start.
The peat is more powerful than i was expecting, apple, grapefruit, hint of lemon on the palate with a little creamy note and the faintest pepper not , in a nutshell this is like the 2 Ledaigs in this flight just a bit less peat and pepper.
Excellent balance on show,and water is not really needed, after 45 minutes or so there is a lemon sherbet fizz which i really like.
Excellent whisky, really glad i picked this particular Ardmore for this tasting.

Longrow 1973 Samaroli 91/94/94
The nose is a little closed at first but it is pleasant for sure.
Peat, a little pepper, hints of lemon sherbet, cinder toffee and faint lime possibly.
The peat is powerful for 48% but i get the feeling that if you take the peat away there is not much left, certainly fruit wise anyway?
As you go on it does get better, with a sweet grapefruit note and a little gala melon and mango in the mix.
The finish is pretty long and the balance is really good.
Being completely honest i was expecting this to be better, still it is a quality malt that tastes great, but it needs another layer of complexity to get it in the 93-95 area.
I was not going to add water as this is 48% but I am glad I did because it really opens up, more fruit, more peat, more spice and obviously a higher score.

Brora 30 year 2003 , 94/94/95
Re taste
Nose, peat, a little ginger, grapefruit, a little lemon sherbet, the peat keeps growing in the glass.
On the palate there is some creamy peat, stewed mango, apple and spices but what you notice is the balance.
This is not too dissimilar to the Longrow 1973 16 year Samaroli, but there is more happening here on the nose.
The palate has masses of peat and it is quite sweet with it, there is a pastry note,and something a bit meaty which is something I have never noticed before.
There is a nice fruit note mixing with the pepper, it is difficult to put your finger on, all I can say is that it is nice.
With a few drops of water:-
There is now a slight menthol note on the nose amd more white fruits.
The palate has much more pepper now and the peat is growing with the stewed fruit, the balance is really something, top notch stuff, in whisk terms this is as good as it gets for me.
The finish has suffered a little length wise with water but still glorious and why Brora is most of the time my favourite whisky.
This is better than I remember, a remorseless peated Highlander, which has so much more than peat to offer.

Glen Garioch 1975 Samaroli 96/96/95
Re taste
On the nose there is so much going on, there is a little menthol, grapefruit, lemon sherbet sweets, warm brioche buns and surprisingly the peat is in the background?
After a few minutes in the glass there is a hint of perhaps dark honey, which I never noticed before.
Now I see it, the menthol and honey is like a Lockets cough sweet but much more subtle than that.
The peat is powerful and it tries to rip your tongue out at first but even that is an enjoyable experience Smile
The fruit is there, grapefruit, mango and a hint of green apple the peat and pepper are also still there but there are other things going on , the fruit is of the highest quality and i do not think water is needed, this has to be one of the best cask strength flavour hits out there, surely?
The finish is so long, powerful yet elegant.
I need to try the 1967 36 year DL after this to compare, as the 1967 DL is also excellent.
i have not tasted all the top 10 whiskies on whiskybase, tasted 3, I think, but in my whisky world this is superb and one of the best peated whisky ever bottled
More fruit has been released with the peat in the background, lots of juicy grapefruit, mango on show here.
The palate now has a creamy mouthfeel and the peat has exploded but it is not difficult in any way just pure pleasure, Lordy.
The finish is still a decent length but not as long as neat but who cares when it is this good?

Glen Garioch 1967 DL Platinum 97/96/95

Re taste (this was a late edition to the flight)
Even after the 1975 Geerie Samaroli, this nose impresses, it is awesome.
Peat, grapefruit, a little menthol, a little green gooseberry.
On the palate you have an explosion of peat across your tongue which filters down to your throat, so elegant.
Average up by 1 point from last time.

The peat just keeps growing and there is a flavour that is hard to describe but it is similar to aniseed and is really nice and something different to other whiskies, ah could it be that lavender note that old Geerie was sometimes described as having, who knows, but whatever it is, I like it Smile
The finish with a few drops of water is endless and beautiful, what a monster in one respect but also so well crafted, can whisky get any better?

Port Ellen 12 year 62.7% James Macarthur 94/95/95

Re taste
The nose is actually quite restrained from what I remember of it in 2018?
This has a lovely medicinal note mixing with the peat when neat.
Stewed fruits of the exotic kind on show here, thaty are on the palate with the peat trying to rip your tongue off neat, the power on show here is pretty amazing.
The finish is long and expressive.
The nose is basically the same but a few drops of water has released the peat like a run away train, it just keeps going.
This is my 11th cask strength peater so my palate is at the end of what is can decipher but with a little water this is great but I think both Glen Garioch in this flight shade it.

Crossroads
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970`s aged peat, Islay v Islands v Campbeltown v Highl Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
THE CONTENDERS

Longrow 1973 16 year 48% Samaroli
Glen Garioch 1967 36 year 55.5% Douglas Laing Platinum (Bonus dram, late addition)

This was a very enjoyable H2H of some of the best peated whisky there is, the initial plan was to do a top 10 of aged 1970`s vintage heavily peated whisky but it ended up being 11 as this was the only opportunity to test the 1975 Samaroli Geerie against the 1967 Douglas Laing Geerie.
These 2 whiskies from this old Highland distillery I know from previous tastings are pretty incredible to be honest.
The plan was to pit heavily peated offerings distilled in the 1970’s against each other so Islay v Islands v Campbeltown v Highlands.
Doing these H2H are important in my view as some of these whiskies do get massive scores in isolation but it is only when they are in direct competition that you find just how good they really are.
You know something pretty special or certainly different (depending on how you look at it) has happened when an official annual release of Port Ellen has come last and even then it had a very respectable score?
I picked these whiskies because in the main I knew they were very good but also representative of their geographical areas. I almost included the heavily sherried Talisker 1981 20 year 62% but discounted it because of the heavy sherry and it was from 1981 but allowed the 1972 Ledaig Alambic Classique which is also heavily sherried, that was a mistake not to include that particular whisky from the Talisker distillery.
Another whisky that would have been excellent here, while not being 1970’s distillate was the Clynelish 17 year Manager’s Dram 61.8% OB, that was pretty peating and an excellent whisky, but alas I must have drunk my last saved sample
I also originally did not have an Ardmore of sufficient quality, but managed to find a James Macarthur sample that was really good and slotted in well here. I struggled with Ardmore as being completely honest the distillate they produce does not have the depth of flavours as the other distilleries here, it is like a muted peat profile usually, with nothing outstanding but the JM more than held it’s own and really surprised me.
The final whisky missing that would have been nice to have here is the 1974 31 year 49.7% LMDW, Laphroaig, that particular bottle I suspect would have given the top 3 here some stiff competition

The result confirmed what I already suspected that the Geerie can top any Ardbeg or any other Islay whisky and so can a Brora and probably the best Lediag also.

There is the caveat that you need to bear in mind that drinking this much cask strength heavy peat does affect your palate, regardless of how much water you have between drams.
By the 7th Dram i started to feel it a little but then got a 2nd wind and managed to finish, it was pointless saving a few for the next day, you cannot pick up where you left off.

There were no average drams here, they were all good quality but noticeable differences in flavour and depth of profile.

Apologies, some tasting notes are not in depth because I have tasted them before, and completed notes previously.

RESULT

Glen Garioch 1967 36 year 55.5% Douglas Laing Platinum (Bonus dram)
96/97/95

96/96/96

94/95/95

94/95/95

Longrow 1973 16 year 48% Samaroli 9
91/94/94

92/94/93

92/93/93

92/93/93

93/92/92

92/92/92

87/90/89

[TASTING NOTES

Ardbeg 1976 OB 93/92/92
The nose smells like a coastal peat, rich sherry, rich fruit cake, ginger, stewed blackcurrant and damson in the background then spent matches and smoke.
A few drops of water release wisps of cigar smoke
The palate has more bitterness than I remember, it is almost meaty like some old sherried Mortlachs have.
it gets a little sweeter as you go on, with some pepper and spice and some unripe plum is mixed with a little ginger and water brings out faint orange.
Good balance here, with peat,sherry spice in harmony, a long finish that fizzes on your tongue

Port Ellen 4th Annual Release 87/90/89
The nose is surprisingly distant at first, there is lemon, a little white pepper and some peat but no smoke?
Bang there it is, your tongue gets lassoed by a peat rope, and it shows its power.
There is some cream on show mixing with the peat and lemon and the pepper note just keeps ramping up.
The nose is still not giving that much away, just peat, pepper and a little white fruit, pear & lemon.
Very creamy now the palate with the peat checked a little by the fruit and the balance is pretty good.
As an official PE this is pretty good but lacks a bit of magic compared to some of the other releases, the nose lets it down a little.

Ledaig 1972 Alambic Classique 92/93/93
Nice nose, rich sherry, dark fruits, and of course peat but it is slightly in the background.
This actually reminds me of whisky fudge.
As you nose this, faint sweet smoke appears and being honest it reminds me of old aged Talisker so it will be interesting trying them later in this H2H.
Back to this whisky and some dark breakfast marmalade appears after a few minutes, this has an elegant and interesting nose.
The initial mouthfeel is good but some oak is showing which dents the sweetness of the sherry, the peat appears and mingles with the spices on show, great balance and full of flavour.
The finish neat, is not the longest but it is so elegant so there are absolutely no problems here.
If you add a few drops of water it gets a little sweeter with a little raspberry note appearing , and the peat is a little more invasive which compliments everything so well.
The finish is actually a little longer, lovely.
This is a real quality dram.

Talisker 25 year 92/93/93
The trademark pepper and peat Talisker combo is here on the nose and I swear there is a white wine note in the mix somewhere?
The peat and pepper are obviously there but it is really nice, not overpowering in any way.
The peat is really nice, some lemon possibly some unripe pear and the finish is top notch.
Water is not really needed, the lemon and cream note on the finish is like whisky poetry, really nice stuff.

Ledaig 1972 Cadenhead 92/94/93

Re taste
This has powerful peat but the fruit is so elegant, hint of apple, plum, lemon & grapefruit mix with the peat and cream with a dash of pepper,what is so good here is the balance.
with a little water this is just lovely, it is really juicy and the fruit increases in line with the peat, nothing out of sync, great stuff.

Ardmore 18 year 1994 92/91/92
Initially on the nose you notice plenty of juicy white fruits with the peat in the background, this is a good start.
The peat is more powerful than i was expecting, apple, grapefruit, hint of lemon on the palate with a little creamy note and the faintest pepper not , in a nutshell this is like the 2 Ledaigs in this flight just a bit less peat and pepper.
Excellent balance on show,and water is not really needed, after 45 minutes or so there is a lemon sherbet fizz which i really like.
Excellent whisky, really glad i picked this particular Ardmore for this tasting.

Longrow 1973 Samaroli 91/94/94
The nose is a little closed at first but it is pleasant for sure.
Peat, a little pepper, hints of lemon sherbet, cinder toffee and faint lime possibly.
The peat is powerful for 48% but i get the feeling that if you take the peat away there is not much left, certainly fruit wise anyway?
As you go on it does get better, with a sweet grapefruit note and a little gala melon and mango in the mix.
The finish is pretty long and the balance is really good.
Being completely honest i was expecting this to be better, still it is a quality malt that tastes great, but it needs another layer of complexity to get it in the 93-95 area.
I was not going to add water as this is 48% but I am glad I did because it really opens up, more fruit, more peat, more spice and obviously a higher score.

Brora 30 year 2003 , 94/94/95
Re taste
Nose, peat, a little ginger, grapefruit, a little lemon sherbet, the peat keeps growing in the glass.
On the palate there is some creamy peat, stewed mango, apple and spices but what you notice is the balance.
This is not too dissimilar to the Longrow 1973 16 year Samaroli, but there is more happening here on the nose.
The palate has masses of peat and it is quite sweet with it, there is a pastry note,and something a bit meaty which is something I have never noticed before.
There is a nice fruit note mixing with the pepper, it is difficult to put your finger on, all I can say is that it is nice.
With a few drops of water:-
There is now a slight menthol note on the nose amd more white fruits.
The palate has much more pepper now and the peat is growing with the stewed fruit, the balance is really something, top notch stuff, in whisk terms this is as good as it gets for me.
The finish has suffered a little length wise with water but still glorious and why Brora is most of the time my favourite whisky.
This is better than I remember, a remorseless peated Highlander, which has so much more than peat to offer.

Glen Garioch 1975 Samaroli 96/96/95
Re taste
On the nose there is so much going on, there is a little menthol, grapefruit, lemon sherbet sweets, warm brioche buns and surprisingly the peat is in the background?
After a few minutes in the glass there is a hint of perhaps dark honey, which I never noticed before.
Now I see it, the menthol and honey is like a Lockets cough sweet but much more subtle than that.
The peat is powerful and it tries to rip your tongue out at first but even that is an enjoyable experience Smile
The fruit is there, grapefruit, mango and a hint of green apple the peat and pepper are also still there but there are other things going on , the fruit is of the highest quality and i do not think water is needed, this has to be one of the best cask strength flavour hits out there, surely?
The finish is so long, powerful yet elegant.
I need to try the 1967 36 year DL after this to compare, as the 1967 DL is also excellent.
i have not tasted all the top 10 whiskies on whiskybase, tasted 3, I think, but in my whisky world this is superb and one of the best peated whisky ever bottled
More fruit has been released with the peat in the background, lots of juicy grapefruit, mango on show here.
The palate now has a creamy mouthfeel and the peat has exploded but it is not difficult in any way just pure pleasure, Lordy.
The finish is still a decent length but not as long as neat but who cares when it is this good?

Glen Garioch 1967 DL Platinum 97/96/95

Re taste (this was a late edition to the flight)
Even after the 1975 Geerie Samaroli, this nose impresses, it is awesome.
Peat, grapefruit, a little menthol, a little green gooseberry.
On the palate you have an explosion of peat across your tongue which filters down to your throat, so elegant.
Average up by 1 point from last time.

The peat just keeps growing and there is a flavour that is hard to describe but it is similar to aniseed and is really nice and something different to other whiskies, ah could it be that lavender note that old Geerie was sometimes described as having, who knows, but whatever it is, I like it Smile
The finish with a few drops of water is endless and beautiful, what a monster in one respect but also so well crafted, can whisky get any better?

Port Ellen 12 year 62.7% James Macarthur 94/95/95

Re taste
The nose is actually quite restrained from what I remember of it in 2018?
This has a lovely medicinal note mixing with the peat when neat.
Stewed fruits of the exotic kind on show here, thaty are on the palate with the peat trying to rip your tongue off neat, the power on show here is pretty amazing.
The finish is long and expressive.
The nose is basically the same but a few drops of water has released the peat like a run away train, it just keeps going.
This is my 11th cask strength peater so my palate is at the end of what is can decipher but with a little water this is great but I think both Glen Garioch in this flight shade it.

If you ever need any help, just call me. Please. Top Malt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: