www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Old Tamdhu OB H2H, 8 +10 yr 70 proof & 15 year decanter

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Old Tamdhu OB H2H, 8 +10 yr 70 proof & 15 year decanter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Old Tamdhu OB H2H, 8 +10 yr 70 proof & 15 year decanter Reply with quote

8 year 70 proof - Brown distillery picture label - 89/91/89
10 year 70 proof - River with tree label, red 10 - 89/91/91
15 year 43% - River with tree label, red 15 -Dumpy Decanter 87/88/90 , bottled 1985

This was a really enjoyable head to head, I am a big fan of the old 8 year 70 proof bottle because it is one of the best under 10 year bottles about, the taste and complexity are excellent for such a young age so this tasting seemed logical to see how similar they were.
The 8 year is a 70’s bottle, the 10 year I believe is somewhere around 1979/80, these are quite rare as they only showed 70 proof for a short time. The decanter 15 year was bottled in 1985 so in theory they all could have been distilled and put in casks around 1970?
I certainly think there cannot be more than 1 or 2 year difference to when they were put in casks as the profiles are so similar, just a natural progression of that spirit with age.

Sadly you can no longer buy these at auction for a drinkers price, but if you can get a sample or get lucky on a bottle do not hesitate, pull the trigger. I have tasted a few 10 year with this label but not as good as this one, be careful because they had that particular label for around 10 years, they do not all taste like this early one.

Score wise, they were all similar and all good and I was surprised that the 10 year nosed ahead of the 8 year but those 2 extra years did improve an already excellent profile.
The 15 year had mellowed things a little and a little more depth, all three are tasty.

Tasting notes

8 year
Not tried this for 5 years and a different bottle to that time.
The quality on show here for a whisky that is only 8 years old and 70 proof is really good, this is probably one of the best under 10 year whisky you can get for the quality on show.
If this had been a little sweeter it would have been between 93-94 points, as it is anywhere between 89-91.
It was not that long ago that that these old bottles were about £40-£50 on UK auction sites, now they can be as high as £300, shame.

Nose
Good nose, deep & complex, treacle tart, honeycomb, faint peat & smoke and then after after a few minutes in the glass, fruit emerges, mango, hint of tinned peaches, breakfast marmalade, if this was just a hint sweeter , it would be perfect.
Taste
Spicy and peppery with some potency, there are very few 70 proof whisky that are like this.
The fruit which while not bitter, is not that sweet either, anyway it is mixing with some peat but the initial pepper note has gone now.
Flavour wise you have a little yellow plum, hints of lucozade, hint of ginger dark marmalade, so some orange but almost like it has a burnt sugar edge.
The balance on show is top draw league, nothing out of place.
Finish
Long, spicy and fades gently

With water:-
The nose has opened up revealing a little more spice, basically ginger and marmalade, but the ginger is subtle and not overpowering.
The water has not brought as much extra sweetness as i was hoping but still really good flavours and balance on show.
The mouthfeel is pretty substantial for an 8 year old

10 year
just like the 8 year 70 proof this is almost identical but the extra 2 years maturation has added a layer of complexity.
A very classy 10 year old this was bottled around 1979-1980, most are labelled as 40% so after 1980 and i reckon that the 8 year 70 proof and this one were bottled within 2 -3 years of each other, both are great and both are better than any 8- 10 year malt you can buy now.

Nose
Similar to the 8 year 70 proof OB, more alcohol vapours on this one.
just like the 8 year orange marmalade, the dark variety, hints of ginger, honeycomb, and there is an almost chemical note here.
Not much sweetness on show here but the nose is still a good one.
Taste
just like the 8 year this is pretty powerful for 70 proof and again the balance is good.
This has a really good spice note, not quite as sweet as the 8 year and that was not that sweet to be honest but the fruit is still really nice and so is the balance.
The spice note grows and there is a subtle peat note that adds to the balance.
Finish
Pretty long, spice note still growing, nothing out of place, excellent.

With water :-
The nose is even better and there is a slight nutty angle now and the palate is still spicy but the fruit is a little subdued but the balance is still good.
The finish is not as long and fades with a metallic note coming in?

15 year
A nice old Tamdhu, wonder what this would be like at 50%, the mind boggles. This has a similar profile to the 8 and 10 year 70 proof bottles.
N
ose
The nose is very pleasant, and quite refined.
This has an almost floral side mixed with green herbs (not something i have ever found in a whisky).
There is the faintest hint of peat and another first for me hints of mustard, really!!!!!!
Like the 8 & 10 year OB this has marmalade, and just need to mention the colour of the whisky it has an almost pink hue, even the colour is good.
Taste
Trademark spice and marmalade note but the flavours compared to the 8 & 10 year OB 70 proof are a little blunted as if the extra years have blunted a youthful spirit (god that sounds pretentious, I cannot believe I just said that in my head)?
The fruit is stewed plum, slightly bitter green apple, and it is mixed with treacle.
The balance is really good it just lacks the vibrancy of the 8 & 10 year OB 70 proof.
Finish
The finish is really good, no rough edges and the spice note keeps growing the a dash of peat making an appearance.

With water:-
The nose has improved, by quite some margin, but now there is a nice leather note.
The palate has a little more spice but the balance now is really good and improved, nothing out of place.
Again the marmalade not and spice mixture with a hint of peach is top notch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: