www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Help a non-drinker with an important gift?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help a non-drinker with an important gift?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellynn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Help a non-drinker with an important gift? Reply with quote

I have a scotch lover in my life. I am not a drinker at all so I’m a little in the dark. It’s what brings me to visit you fine folks! I am trying to get them a gift that they not only enjoy the taste of but also has a “wow” factor. I know they enjoy a Smokey profile so I hunted down bottles that were high in that category and within my budget. Now my question is- which would be the most impressive bottle? I really want to impress them.
So far the consensus I’ve got is the Octomore or Ardbeg 19- but someone suggested the Whiskey exchange exclusive would be impressive because it’s not available in the USA and shows I went through some effort.
Advice?
(I’m in Wisconsin- USA and need it by the end of September if you feel that you know of a better choice for me. Aiming to spend less than $400)

Port Charlotte PAC:01 2011 Heavily Peated

Octomore 10.3
6 Year Old Islay Barley

Lagavulin 12 Year Old
18th Release Special Releases 2018

Bunnahabhain 1997
22 Year Old The Whisky Exchange

Lagavulin 12 Year Old
15th Release Special Releases 2015

Ardbeg Perpetuum
Ardbeg Day 2015

Ardbeg Traigh Bhan 19 Year Old
Batch 2

James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think you could go wrong with any of the whiskies you have listed, personally if I was looking for something special for my self i would select the Ardbeg whiskies first, i have had the two whiskies you mention and they are superb.

Any peaty whisky fan would love to get a bottle of the Octomore and the peaty Bunnahabhain with a sherry influence (is this the one you mean https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/56424/bunnahabhain-moine-1997-22-year-old-px-sherry-cask )sounds very interesting.
Ellynn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T wrote:
I dont think you could go wrong with any of the whiskies you have listed, personally if I was looking for something special for my self i would select the Ardbeg whiskies first, i have had the two whiskies you mention and they are superb.

Any peaty whisky fan would love to get a bottle of the Octomore and the peaty Bunnahabhain with a sherry influence (is this the one you mean https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/56424/bunnahabhain-moine-1997-22-year-old-px-sherry-cask )sounds very interesting.

That is the one I’m referring to. Honestly I was going to go with the Ardbeg 19 but many reviews I looked up said that it was not the best quality they’ve made. I looked up reviews for all of them and everyone lists a different flavor profile for each one and don’t seem to be excited about those particular bottles.

I know that he has a bottle of Laphroic 10 which I believe to be this one (https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/55178/laphroaig-10-year-old-cask-strength-batch-012-bot2020). He said he loves the heavy smoke. I know in general he doesn’t like sweets but to me none of these liquors taste even remotely sweet.
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe stretching your budget a little but why not go for three bottles, i would go for:

Port Charlotte PAC:01 2011 Heavily Peated
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/59955/port-charlotte-pac01-2011-heavily-peated

Lagavulin 12 Year Old 2018 which is amongst the best of the Lagavulin 12 year old special releases i have tasted
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/43556/lagavulin-12-year-old-18th-release-special-releases-2018

Octomore 10.3 6 Year Old Islay Barley
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/51093/octomore-103-6-year-old-islay-barley

Personally i couldnt fault the Ardbeg 19 Traigh Bhan, it is very good as James T says, if your Scocth lover friend likes Ardbeg they will like this.
jcarrick
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lagavulin 12 year old 2018 release is excellent.
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha its my bday pretty soon and somehow I made myself believe someone was thinking of me, it all added up until the Wisconsin part Laughing. Have a look for the Laphroaig 18 as well. Its discontinued but still around here and there and prices havent gone too crazy on it whilst its really a quality bottle, same for Caol ila 25 if you can find it at the right price....

Of your list Bunnahabhain would probably be the most appealing/special, next to the Ardbeg 19, unless they like REALLY peated whisky, then give the Octomore a try.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: