www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - True values

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
True values

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: True values Reply with quote

I have been trying to work out the best way to work out the true value of the whisky I have. I am not planning on selling anything as quite a lot of it I want to open at some stage but I keep wondering what is it worth..

I have found Whiskyhunter but they are very expensive.. Are there any others out there?

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general rule of thumb is that it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and actions rather than shop prices are a good way to go.
The next thing is if depends whether your are valuing from a investor, collector or drinker's perspective, which of course are poles apart.
As an example the latest Macallan 30 year OB costs roughly 5k but from my drinkers perspective I would not value it more than £400-£500 tops for the taste experience it provided taking into account the % abv and age etc.
If you are going to drink them why worry about value, it is pretty much irrelevant.
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think there are no true values. Its still a relatively small market that buys and sells whisky so prices can fluctuate more then 50% auction to auction depending on the bottle. I would say just check historical prices on the latest bottles sold on whiskyauctioneer for example. Might give you an idea.
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think there are no true values. Its still a relatively small market that buys and sells whisky so prices can fluctuate more then 50% auction to auction depending on the bottle. I would say just check historical prices on the latest bottles sold on whiskyauctioneer for example. Might give you an idea.
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would gauge the current value of a whisky on what it has recently sold for at auction.
maltmad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real value can only be known by analysing sales at auctions. I use whiskyhunter.net for this purpose. Some may say it is expensive, but I think it is cheaper than the time I would have had to spend gathering this information myself. Given that I do whisky quite seriously, it's an invaluable tool for me.

maltmad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotchnthings wrote:

The secondary market is already quite mature. It is several million in sales every month (according to open auction sales data). Yes, some bottles may jump higher and lower - but it's worth aiming for the average.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: