www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Dufftown OB - 12/15/18 year + Nas Trinite

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dufftown OB - 12/15/18 year + Nas Trinite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Dufftown OB - 12/15/18 year + Nas Trinite Reply with quote

H2H Dufftown OB
12 year 40% 2017 (old livery) -83/86/85
15 year 40% latest version - 84/83/80
18 year 40% latest version - 84/84/81
Trinite Nas 40% travel retail - 83/84/83

None of these will set your world on fire, I think the 12 year tastes better than the 15 or 18 but not sure what the latest 12 year tastes like called lucious nectar?
If these were bottles at 46% they would be much better for it.

Tasting Notes
12 year from 2017

This has surprised me, looking at the average score on here I was expecting a pretty bland whisky, far from it.
The balance is decent and it tastes nice but you need to spend time with this one and you also need a full bottle or a good sized sample otherwise you will miss out.
I know this bottle was from a few years ago but I am tempted to get a bottle of the latest 12 year version of this.

Nose
An expressive nose full of honey, apple, faint lemon and warm biscuit but also wet stones and chalk.
Not an easy nose as the alcohol vapours take a little time to get used to, smells stronger than 40% and while there is fruit, it does not nose like sweet fruit, more unripe and now there is some green gooseberry notes coming in which emphasize this fact

Taste
The fruit is there immediately but it seems a little harsh at first but once you get used to it , there are no issues.
Fruit wise it is more on lemon, goose berry a little green apple and plum but' it is ripe fruit so no bitterness like the nose hinted at and the balance is pretty good.
The fruit seems to get sweeter with a smattering of spice and there is also a sugared almond casing sweetness on show

Finish
Decent length remains fruity to the end and the spice is much more evident in the tail, pepper and ginger.

If you add water it gets sweeter and more rounded but looses much of the spice note so in my view water is not needed,

15 year
I was expecting this to be better than the old 12 WB id 108571 but it isn`t.
Nose
Pineapple, lemon, lime, a little honey, butter sherbet, lemon drizzle cake
Taste
The initial mouth feel is good, being slightly creamy and sweet and everything seems balanced.
There is a lovely pineapple chunks/pineapple sugared sweet note, mixing with a little honey.
The issue is after the initial flavours there is little left so depth of profile is shallow, and very simple profile.
perhaps the above comment is a little harsh but istdoes get a little metallic as you go on which drops the points a little but a spice note appears out of nowhere which lifts this a little.

Finish
This is where it loses marks because the finish is short , fading fast, oh well

18 year
Similar in nose to the 15 year just more of which you would expect.

Nose
Similar in nose to the 15 year just more of which you would expect.
pineapple, some green apple, honey, a little lemon and icing sugar.

Taste
plenty of stewed fruit at first, plum, red apple, a little kiwi and green gooseberry and a nice sweet icing note.
Like the new 15 year this suffers from a light depth of profile with the only thing holding on is a little peppery spice note and a hint of ginger.
Actually as you go on it does come back with another wave of flavour but for an 18 year old needs a little more depth of profile to keep you interested.

Finish
Longer than the 15 year, just but again fading too quickly

Trinite
Not bad with a touch more flavour than the 15 or 18 year with a very simple profile.

Nose
Similar to the 15 and 18 year but with an extra layer of complexity.
This smells richer, with a little chocolate note, green apple, pear and a hint of lemon zest mixed with honey and little menthol, it is like a weak cough sweet, pleasant enough but not very exciting.

Taste
The first thing that hits you is a peppery spice note, then some bubblegum and a little blueberry note which is nice, ginger, honey and fruit cocktail juice (Del Monte tinned).
The flavours here are longer lasting than the 15 or 18.

Finish
The finish is decent enough but fades to a slight metallic note

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: