www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - The Baker’s Dozen 13 IB Irish unspecified single malts

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Baker’s Dozen 13 IB Irish unspecified single malts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: The Baker’s Dozen 13 IB Irish unspecified single malts Reply with quote

My experience of irish single malts is not huge so I thought I would try these 13 IB.
In the past I have found that in the main Irish single malts are not as complex or heavy as Scotch whisky apart from some older Lowland offerings.
Many of the ones tried here had a cereal note, stewed white fruits on the palate and the nose was a little distant but the palate was pretty good.
I did not do full tasting notes as I had 13 to taste but also after the first half dozen they where melding into one.
There are obviously less differences in this flight rather than a Scotch H2H but that is understandable as there are far fewer distilleries in Ireland and my guess here that half of those here were bushmill’s.
What was interesting is that sometimes with Scotch whisky the palate does not deliver what the nose promised, with quite a few of these it was the other way round with the palate being the weakest part.
I still prefer Scotch whisky to Irish because there is more going on but there are exceptions, as there always will be and in the past I have had some cracking Irish single malts and blends.

Result

1-Irish Single Malt 1988 26 year cask 14360 45.6% The Nose Art, Whisky Doris
88/92/91
2-Irish Single Malt Whiskey 1193 25 year 48.1% Liquid Art 88/91/90
3-Single Irish Malt Whiskey 1989 29 year rum barrel 56.5% Liquid Treasures
88/90/90
4-Ireland Single Malt 1989 29 year 48.6% Daily Dram 88/90/90
5-A distillery in Ireland 2003/2016 12 year Exclusive Malts cask 10 52.6% 88/88/89
6-Ireland Single Malt 1990 30 year rum barrel cask 589 53.1% Archives
88/89/87
7-Irish Single Malt Whisky 1991 23 year 51.6 The Whisky Agency 85/88/88
8-lrish Single Malt Whiskey 1989 26 year 47.2% Whisky Fassle
82/90/90
9-Irish Single Malt 1991 24 year cask 8533 48.5% The Nose Art, Whisky Doris 85/86/87
10-Limerick 1991 23 year Slaney Malt Adelphi sherry cask 10694 48.3% 84/85/84
11-Irish Single Malt 1991 22 year cask 8231 48.1% The Nose Art, Whisky Doris
80/84/87
12-Irish Single, Malt Brothers In Arms Vom Fass 14 year 43% 73/70/74
13-Single Irish Malt 2001 17 year cask 3379 55.9% Rolf Kasper
70/84/82

Tasting notes in the order sampled ,youngest -oldest/b]

[b]A distillery in Ireland 2003/2016 12 year Exclusive Malts cask 10 52.6%

The nose neat is a mixture of summer fruits and chemical cleaning products, weird.
The palate is quite sweet, syrupy and fruity with stewed, mango and pineapple.
I like the mouth feel and for a 12 year old there is plenty going on.
The finish is also pretty long, warming and remains fruity but not too sweet.
With a few drops of water the nose has lost it's sweet edge and has become grassy with a cereal note.
The palate has also changed, it is a bit less expressive and the sweet edge on the finish has also gone but still a nice feeling all things considered.
This dram is the first of 13 unnamed Irish single malts, this is the youngest, we are off to a good start this is nice stuff.

Irish Single, Malt Brothers In Arms Vom Fass 14 year 43%

At first I thought the nose was not particularly expressive but if you leave it a few minutes in the glass before tasting it, there is improvement with air.
The fruit would appear to be hidden by the alcohol vapours at first, and as I go on it reminds me of ice cream wafers and not to my liking, this appears to have a cereal , nutty off note, yeah I know that is a strange one.
The palate is far from sweet , there is a Parma Violet note but that is checked by the cereal note.
The finish is surprisingly pleasant , considering what I think of the palate.
With a little water
I detect little change on the nose, but the palate has gained some sweetness but the balance is all over the place but seems to settle down but I cannot say I am enjoying this.
The lack of sweetness is the issue here

Single Irish Malt 2001 17 year cask 3379 55.9% Rolf Kasper

I do not like the nose on this, sour apples and plums basically.
The palate starts off well , plenty of white fruit mixed with cream and a medicinal alcohol note.
The fruit gets sweeter with an icing sugar note that reminds me of those tiny biscuits with a blob of icing on, called iced gems, so my wife says Smile
with water:-
The nose is still not to my liking but the water has released a lot of peppery spice which adds interest.
An up and down malt but the palate was ok which is what counts

Irish Single Malt 1991 22 year cask 8231 48.1% The Nose Art, Whisky Doris

Not a fan of the nose neat, smells a bit farmy in a shitty way?
The palate is on the thin side at first with bitter fruits but it does pick up on kiwi and green unripe plum.
No need for water and with time in the glass the nose has improved and has a cereal note now.
So this is ok but not particularly interesting on the palate but the finish is nice and lasts a long time, this is the best part by a long way.
This reminds me of 1960's Redbreast, with the cereal note.

Irish Single Malt Whisky 1991 23 year 51.6 The Whisky Agency

Cereal and green apple on the nose followed by a hint of warm biscuit.
The palate has some depth to it but the fruit needs a little more sweetness, it is a tropical fruit basket, which increases as you go on.
This reminds me of that 26 year Irish malt from Aldi a few years ago, which I thought was a Bushmills?
This does have a good depth of profile, not bad

Limerick 1991 23 year Slaney Malt Adelphi sherry cask 10694 48.3%

The nose is full of summer fruits/exotic fruits, definitely some kiwi in the mix, green apple skins.
The palate has some bitterness which is a shame and the bitter apple is evident, along with maybe sour green plums.
It does sweeten up as you go on a little and a white pepper note appears.
The finish gets a little creamy with the fruit pushed aside by the pepper note.

Irish Single Malt 1991 24 year cask 8533 48.5% The Nose Art, Whisky Doris

This has a stronger nose than 79410 , another fruit basket for sure.
The fruit the nose hinted at is on the palate but, not as pronounced as I was expecting.
The fruit is still nice and there is some decent balance on show for sure but it is the finish that is the best part, what I would call quite long and soothing being on the creamy side
Pretty good but never seems to reach it's full potential.

Irish Single Malt Whiskey 1193 25 year 48.1% Liquid Art

A typical fruity and a little peppery nose.
This is really fruity on the palate, mango, hint of apricot, honey few melon, exotic fruits, they are all there, now this one does hit the heights, absolutely no need for water.
Some sponge cake cream appears and a nice peppery spice that I am finding in these Irish offerings, but it is not a heavy spice note, like a sprinkling on the top of you will.
No 8 in this flight and the best so far,

Irish Single Malt 1988 26 year cask 14360 45.6% The Nose Art, Whisky Doris

Typical Irish nose on white fruits and a cereal note with a fruity palate but compared to the Liquid Art 119623, the fruit on this one is not quite as sweet.
That being said this has a greater depth of profile with good balance.
The fruit on this one is not so much white fruit more like green fruits, plum, rhubarb, green apple all stewed together with a little sugar.
This is a good one, with excellent balance.

Irish Single Malt Whiskey 1989 26 year 47.2% Whisky Fassle

There is a chemical note on the nose that I do not like.
The palate is peppery, creamy and on white fruits, and there is good balance on show, so the main thing is the palate is ok compared to the nose.
As you go on the palate increases in sweetness, with a hint of menthol and honey appearing, but it is faint and you really have to go looking for it.
Nice stuff

Single Irish Malt Whiskey 1989 29 year rum barrel 56.5% Liquid Treasures

White pepper, butter, honey, lemon & mango on the nose.
This has bags of spice on the palate which compliments the fruit nicely
Neat the spice note just keeps on going, but it may be worth adding a little water to this one.
Water does add a little, this has some depth to it for sure, good balance

Ireland Single Malt 1989 29 year 48.6% Daily Dram

Wow, now that is a more substantial nose than the ones that preceded it.
This has similarities with a lockets cough sweet, basically honey, menthol & lemon.
The palate certainly has some fruit, with a little spice and the finish is also good, what I would call pleasantly warming.
This has more depth to it than most Irish, good stuff, the extra years maturation are evident in the palate.

Ireland Single Malt 1990 30 year rum barrel cask 589 53.1% Archives

This is the last of 13 Irish tasted tonight so excuse the short tasting note.
The nose is full of stewed white fruits plus pineapple and mango bit i would not say it is particularly sweet.
The palate is pretty much the same, stewed fruit, some not ripe, just ever so slightly unripe, that sort of thing.
There is some spice showing up after a few minutes, but also a faint metallic aftertaste in the finish which drops it a few marks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: