www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - What to try next

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What to try next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimny14
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: What to try next Reply with quote

I have ordered some new to me whisky to try but cant decide where to start.
The question is what to open next.
Talisker 10
Ardbeg uigeadail
Springbank 10

I also have open aberlour abundah 60, aberlour 12, old pulteney 12, highland park 12 and laphroig 10,

As you can probably gather I like to try a variety of styles.
Anyone got any suggestions on what to try next? I've picked things I've wanted to try for a while but haven't got round to.

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for me when I was starting if I had talisker10, springbank 10 then the ardbeg then that’s the order I’d go for , you just can’t start with the ardbeg because the talisker will not hit the spot after the other two,
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What takes your fancy? Talisker 10 is peaty and smoky, not as peaty as Laphroaig, and quite minerally in flavour. It's more of a challenging malt than the other two.

Springbank 10 is a Campbeltown and Campbeltown malts are very unique, they're closer to Highland than Islay but they retain that iodine kick of a highland malt that is slightly peated. I tend to think of Campbeltown malts as the "Best of Single Malt Scotch" because they contain flavour elements of all the regions. I've yet to try a bad Campbeltown malt.

Ardbeg uige is phenomenal stuff imo, peaty like laphroaig but the sherry casks have imbued a lovely chcolatey flavour to the smoke. It's cask strength so will be considerably more intense flavour-wise than the other two whiskies.

Personally I would probably go Talisker > Springbank > Ardbeg. But it really doesn't matter.
Jimny14
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I might go with the ardbeg next as I have a little ardbeg 10 left in a sample I kept back so might test against that to see the differences.
Alternatively it might be the talisker against the laphroig or ardbeg 10. Might keep the spring bank back for a while.
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talisker 10 ain't going to beat those two IMO if you like your peat as it'll feel much less robust in that aspect, but you never know how people will react! :D
Jimny14
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I like to compare whiskies against a new one sometimes to see the differences. I'm assuming talisker is going to be more restrained in its smoke but might be more complex on other aspects. May have a talisker on its own first so my taste buds don't get blasted out.

BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My summation of Talisker 10 to people who don't typically drink whisky is to imagine you're on a beach and there's a big bonfire going on and you're eating some kippers and then licking a rock! Laughing

IMO it isn't more complex than Laph or Ardbeg as Laph and especially Ardbeg are particularly complex, but it's an interesting whisky for sure as I would not describe Talisker 10 as a "smooth" whisky in any way (what I think of as smooth anyway), so a good example of how a single malt doesn't have to be particularly fruity or fragrant to be tasty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: