www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Dalwhinnie 1962 19 year 40% G & M Connoisseurs Choice br

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dalwhinnie 1962 19 year 40% G & M Connoisseurs Choice br

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Dalwhinnie 1962 19 year 40% G & M Connoisseurs Choice br Reply with quote

Nose
Lovely nose on this , stewed mango and pineapple with hints of honey, lemon zest but there is also a slightly meaty angle like dried beef with hints of coffee, sounds a little weird but it works for me.
After a few minutes the faintest hint of orange emerge and yes there is some OBE, which adds to the experience.

Taste
Now then, the fruits are a little less sweet than at what i was expecting at first but as you swill round your mouth and over your tongue the sweetness improves, all the fruits on the nose are hear with a faint menthol note.
A little wood appears so I added a dash of water which brings the sweetness back up a little and introduces a spice note that reminds me a little of old Royal Lochnagar but lighter.

Finish
reasonable length remaining spicy with the wood and fruit cancelling each other out almost but the quality fruit wins a tight scrap, possibly the faintest metallic hint on the tail but it is ok.

All I can really say that regardless of my scoring tasting a really old vintage of Dalwhinnie is an absolute whisky pleasure for me.

average score 88 points

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one sounds like it would appeal to my palate. Frankly, the core range Dalwhinnie 15 has always left me feeling unsatisfied, the whisky rather bland and unremarkable IMO.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quaich1 wrote:
This one sounds like it would appeal to my palate. Frankly, the core range Dalwhinnie 15 has always left me feeling unsatisfied, the whisky rather bland and unremarkable IMO.

Yes the 15 year is a light summer dram, like most whiskies from the 60's the 1966/2002 special release was a good whisky but even that had been in the cask a couple of years too long IMHO.
As for GM Connoisseurs Choice bottle the original black label and brown labels have some real stand out offerings and are always worth exploring.
Drover
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quaich1 wrote:
I am surprised to hear someone say that the Dalwhinnie 15 is bland, i rate it highly and always have a bottle on the go. It just goes to show how individual tastes vary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: