www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Laphroaig Launch 10 Year Old Sherry Oak Finish

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Laphroaig Launch 10 Year Old Sherry Oak Finish
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Laphroaig Launch 10 Year Old Sherry Oak Finish Reply with quote

The Laphroaig 10 Year Old Sherry Oak Finish is said to be a new take on the flagship 10 Year Old which Laphroaig fans will be very familiar with. The new Laphroaig 10 Year Old was initially matured in a combination of American Oak ex-Bourbon and Refill Oloroso Sherry casks then finished for between 12 - 18 months in Oloroso sherry casks before being bottled at 48% ABV.

I haven't tasted this one myself so I cant comment on its quality but they certainly rate it very highly with a RRP of £65 but currently £59.95 here https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/59721/laphroaig-10-year-old-sherry-oak-finish

some more info on it here:

https://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/laphroaig10yearoldsherryoakfinish.htm

Innes
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at this already, a big ask at this price for a 10 year old as I do enjoy Laphroaig, I think I will wait for a few reviews and hopefully it going on offer.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was giving it a miss for that price. Regular 10 often sub-£30. QC at 48% sometimes sub-£30. I'm not paying £60.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sadly is becoming the norm, Sherry cask finishing of a mainly bourbon cask maturation but the main focus is on the finishing, no thanks?

Last edited by lincoln imp on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a friend of mine for some reason got the friends of laphroaig mailer about this looong before I did and expressed his interest and I predicted that "it's gonna be massively overpriced at £60 or something knowing Laphroaig" like all their whiskies that aren't the three basic expressions (Select/10yr/QC), and looks like I was only a fiver off. Absolutely disgraceful imo.

If it drops to £50 somewhere I may be tempted, but even at that price it's a con quite frankly. This is the problem with Islay whisky, the distilleries usually have one, two, or three core expressions that are reasonably priced and then they slap an obscene premium on everything else they produce.
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that they will only have limited amounts available and they will be confident they can shift it at this price.

Whisky Chaser
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will probably find it on Amazon for £40 in the run up to Christmas, which is what it should be priced.
Brummie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleazy profiteering pricing, shame on Laphroaig for treating their so called "Friends of Laphroaig" like this.
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm enjoying my bottle. In the times of people paying £70 for a 3 year old malt is this so bad? Nah.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbe wrote:
Well I'm enjoying my bottle. In the times of people paying £70 for a 3 year old malt is this so bad? Nah.

All things are relatively for sure, there are as you say, new distilleries asking eye watering amounts for a 1-3 year old and that is why some people do not think the price is too bad, there is always something more ludicrously priced round the corner so you are right in that respect. Smile
The proof is in the pudding, if it tastes great then £70 will seem like a bargain in the scheme of things.
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
davidbe wrote:

All things are relatively for sure, there are as you say, new distilleries asking eye watering amounts for a 1-3 year old and that is why some people do not think the price is too bad, there is always something more ludicrously priced round the corner so you are right in that respect. Smile
The proof is in the pudding, if it tastes great then £70 will seem like a bargain in the scheme of things.

I should clarify. Do I think it should be priced at £60? No. However:

- it is 48% compared to the standard 10's 40%, therefore wouldn't be priced the same.
- it is comparatively priced to the NAS Lore (which is admittedly much better), also at 48%
- it is priced between the standard 10 and the 10 cask strength

A fairer price would be £50 I think, and we'll probably see it drop to that. But I don't think a tenner on top of £50 is an "obscene premium" for a new release. Not in the grand scheme of the business as it is today.

They could well have bottled it at 40% and charged the same. That would have been "obscene".
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually said they slap an "obscene premium" on everything else they produce outside their cheaper core range, so comparing the 10yr Sherry Oak to the Lore and 10yr Cask Strength to argue there's no "obscene premium" is kind of missing the point. It's also completely missing the point lincoln imp made above: Just because you can find examples of other more expensive whiskies doesn't mean this whisky isn't outrageously overpriced. I'm sure we could all quote examples of the opposite, for example Springbank 12yr CS at £55.

drPete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to report I find it a little underwhelming - the core Laphroaig profile is toned down, and not enough sherry notes to replace them.

Your milage may vary.
Blackadder
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drPete wrote:
I'm sorry to report I find it a little underwhelming - the core Laphroaig profile is toned down, and not enough sherry notes to replace them.

Your milage may vary.
Thats a shame to hear, I was going to get myself a bottle.
Drame Blanche
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a sample yesterday night. It does what is says on the tin really, enveloping your Laph around a syrupy, fruity and chocolatey layer.

In my very personal opinion it also mellows the in-your-face nature of typical Laph and, as you would expect, it softens some of the more characteristic tones such as iodine, medicinal tones and seaweed. They've done a great job because everything is still there, nothing has been sacrificed to the altar of sherry influence, but clearly those old school Laph notes don't sing as loud. I can't help thinking how these classic Islay aspects, due to their umami nature and their intrinsic fragility, don't really blend spectacularly with sherry tones, at least in my palate.

I like my Islay's as brutal as they can be, so this is not for me, but I can see how some whisky fans less keen to Islay brutalities can find in this liquid something they can stand and even grow to like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: